Small scale hauling/towing costs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I charge $2/loaded mile, first 10 miles free for firewood delivery.
It doesn't exactly cover all expenses, but some of that is factored into the profit from the wood as well.

Neither of my firewood haulers get the mileage your truck is getting. The C30 gets about 1/2 that and the C70 about a third.
I also have a 2500 Ram and used to have a 3500, they get/got 10-14mpg depending on how heavy the load was

Like someone else stated check your insurance. I just checked into delivering small loads of pipe. I would have hauled no more then 15k pounds within a 400 mile radius. They wanted 400ish a month for liability on a truck like yours. I was only going to deliver a few loads a month. The cost of the insurance makes not worth it.

I was gonna swap my k10 for a c60, and when I found out what the insurance was I passed on the swap. I figured realistically how much I was going to use it, and it was gonna cost me 50-100 bucks every time I turned the key on.

I bought an tandem axle dump once. I owned a d31 komatsu and needed a away to move if from site to site. I did some hualing, but I wasnt in the hualing business so i didnt go looking for loads to hual. Mostly the truck was just to move loader. What i found was that it cost me over $200 per month just to own the truck, even if I didnt drive it. That was just in tags and insurance. I sold the truck and started hiring someone to move my Loader, worked out way cheaper than owning a truck.

It's refreshing to see well informed people look at firewood this way. To many people think it's all free... and it absolutely is not

If you look at my equipment you notice I stay small always under 16000 now state of Illinois on trucks will eat you alive the the state troopers then dot then fuel check. Even if you don't get a ticket time cost you money. Got a friend went big trucks he said cost was eating him a live.

Back