Smart comment by loader operator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today my logger buddies were in the area. They had called and wanted MORE Honeycrisp apples that I just happen to grow. (I have an orchard with 680 trees). So I took them a couple more bushel and brought my 18 foot, 10,000# capacity trailer with to get some wood. I normally only take red & white oak, he asked "Is Hickory OK?" :rock::bowdown::clap::chainsaw::chop::dancing::happybanana::guitar::havingarest::rock2:

I said "that would be fine". Going to get another load next week. In minutes I have to tell him to quit or the trailer will collapse.:laugh:

I put the 395XP in service, switched to .404 with semi chisel because the wood is so dirty and mud covered. Gotta say that does throw a mean sized chip.

This is an old pic, but the sites look like this.DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

Wish somebody would ask me if I wanted hickory.
Me too, my smoker stack is quite diminished. I only have a couple large hickory trees left and I don’t want to cut them down. Hickory smoked chicken is one of the family’s favorites! Shoot if someone had a bushel or two of those apples to trade I would probably cut the couple I have down. Those are good apples!

Me too, my smoker stack is quite diminished. I only have a couple large hickory trees left and I don’t want to cut them down. Hickory smoked chicken is one of the family’s favorites! Shoot if someone had a bushel or two of those apples to trade I would probably cut the couple I have down. Those are good apples!

I tried selling smoking wood but if someone truly needs wood for smoking, the amount they use is limited. I use apple most of the time. It is a little milder. A 5 gallon pail last 2 years.

Well....................What do you think about these apples???????? IMHO, these look pretty darn good.

DSCF0020.JPG DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0014.JPG

Well....................What do you think about these apples???????? IMHO, these look pretty darn good.

View attachment 768537 View attachment 768538 View attachment 768539 View attachment 768540 View attachment 768541
Showed my wife your pictures, she and my son love those apples and thought yours looked great, my son said looks good enough to eat! My wife made an apple cake today from honey crisps and granny smith’s. Was delicious!
I agree bout the smoker wood, most people don’t use very much. I use my smoker a lot, and I only use maybe a quarter of a cord a year. I use my smoker all year long, good weather and bad weather. I would think selling to restaurants and bbq joints would be the only way to make decent money for smoker wood, but that’s just speculation on my part, don’t know anything about it.

Only bag of wood I bought that I was impressed with was Pecan. I used it for chicken a couple of times and also some salmon. Price was pretty high but for a “give it a try” it was worth it. I have heard that the white alder wood is good for fish but I have no experience with it. Would like to know more, always trying to Gain knowledge about smoking foods.

Only bag of wood I bought that I was impressed with was Pecan. I used it for chicken a couple of times and also some salmon. Price was pretty high but for a “give it a try” it was worth it. I have heard that the white alder wood is good for fish but I have no experience with it. Would like to know more, always trying to Gain knowledge about smoking foods.

This was 2 years ago so be honest I don’t remember but the flavor was fantastic. Gave a real smoky flavor but not overpowering or bitter.

435690ef9b76090c1455647ba14bc277.jpg
350caea042b63a47d0ec63ae5ad97d91.jpg
82ea0da9543946815507bcab2a50e2b5.jpg

The last picture is of a fresh cut Red Alder, the first is of one down for a day and is middle one well standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to get some hickory, but non existant up here. Going to plant a few honeycrisp apple trees next spring. Got some locally on a service call and the juiciest apples I have had.

Surprisingly Silver maple has pretty good flavor for smoking. Tons around and drues fast

Really nice truck and trailer.

Thanks, It's a 2011 and came from Alaska. Had 50,500 miles when I got it 2 years ago and up until now had never been in salt. Used trucks in Wisconsin live a hard life. Salt is real bad, but the brine now is much worse. I have seen them brine the roads when it is 50 degrees out and no snow for days.:angry::dumb2::wtf:

Made some side racks to haul more and not drop wood on the road. A buddy made these and are a little over the top. The transition from the head ache rack is pretty cool, they come off with two wingnuts. Note it is an illusion, the rack is square to the truck, the head ache rack follows the contour of the truck.DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Back