• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Snap On Comp Tester

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't know that Snap On still made some tools. I have older wrench and ratchet sets of theirs and they are quality. But at the price I can't tell any difference between them and the Kobalt sets that I bought at lowes..... Their tool boxes are nice, but not 4 661's nice (and that is used....) Air tools I stick with Ingersoll or Aircat. They are pricey, but I know that they made them and I have yet to have any problems.

Stanley B&D is good stuff, but they are also the kings of marketing. I have 3 of the same tape measure. One says stanley, one says bostitch, and the other dewalt. The difference in price was $12 to $35......
2a5333404948974048cecd79ee58f231.jpg
heres one of those toolboxes that cost more than 4 of 661s, but I make a living out of it more than I can make with any of my saws. I like nice tools and the option of just going on the truck getting something replaced no questions asked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2a5333404948974048cecd79ee58f231.jpg
heres one of those toolboxes that cost more than 4 of 661s, but I make a living out of it more than I can make with any of my saws. I like nice tools and the option of just going on the truck getting something replaced no questions asked

I can understand that. Nothing more frustrating than a tool breaking on you. I don't earn a living with my tools (yet), but I have and maintain a small farm with old junk equipment so I have to fix sh*t on a daily basis. I was using a cheap ryobi angle grinder a while back, it stopped and caught fire while in my hands.... Since then all power tools are from the big 7 (milwaukee, dewalt, bosch, ridgid, hitachi, makita, Porter-Cable). I know that there are only three parent companies between those brands, but I have yet to have any of them self destruct on me.

I'm considering the Snap-On MT-308JB tester from craigslist but can't find much info on this model. Does anyone have experience with this one or know if it's a good one for saws?

I have some Snap On stuff. Got alot when I had a real good discount when I ran a tool room.. (was something like 60% off of list).

I've mostly given up on getting anything replaced nowadays. None of the tooltruck drivers here will help me unless I have an account with them (ie... owe them money). I ended up mailing a few things to Maine, my Dad tried to get them replaced, but the tool truck driver quit coming by (he is a mechanic at a multi-billion dollar company, they make OSB at the branch he works at)

My brother was finally able to get them replaced by Snap On through their tool room (works at a big company as well). These were tools that I broke years ago, just now getting new ones.

Instead now I just go to Lowes and get Kobalt. Hell I bought several Kobalt brand grain shovels even, lifetime warranty! So far they have held up great. (Get used to shovel out wood scraps from the trucks and under the processors)

As far as Snap On branded OTC stuff, yes, for sure they have some tools. The compression tester I have is Craftsman and it's an OTC. I had a Snap On one for a while and I couldn't tell any difference between the two aside from the color of box and the label.

I have a few other specialty tools like engine barring tools, clutch adjusters, timing tools (all for diesels). Most of it is OTC Snap On.

A good friend of mine owns a collision shop and he told me he has about $50k worth of Snap-On tools.

Those are just his, he has like 4-5 guys working for him and everyone has their own tools.

A good friend of mine owns a collision shop and he told me he has about $50k worth of Snap-On tools.

Those are just his, he has like 4-5 guys working for him and everyone has their own tools.
so he has 4 tool boxes, a wrench set, a socket set, and a few impacts? hahahaha

When my sister was in private practice she handled a divorce for a lifelong mechanic. The divorce was dragged out because they weren't fighting over kids, houses, cars.... They were fighting over the $100k plus in snap on tools.

I don't have 100 grand worth but close to 50,000 but you guys need to remember this over quite a period of time, I've been buying tools for 20 years some these guys amass this stuff over a 40-50 period of pulling wrenches unless you're a farmer and needed a tax write off. My Snap-On guy had a farmer spend $75000 in the last 3 years and they have all new green crap so you can't tell he actually needed that many tools to change oil and wax machinery!

I don't have 100 grand worth but close to 50,000 but you guys need to remember this over quite a period of time, I've been buying tools for 20 years some these guys amass this stuff over a 40-50 period of pulling wrenches unless you're a farmer and needed a tax write off. My Snap-On guy had a farmer spend $75000 in the last 3 years and they have all new green crap so you can't tell he actually needed that many tools to change oil and wax machinery!

It's pretty easy to amass that much over a time period of any tools. My dad passed away at 64 and had been buying tools since his teens. As I look around his hoard of a shop i see several lincoln welders, Quincy air compressors, buckets (literally) of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.... not to mention the shelf after shelf full of power tools and enough hardware to rival true value. College educations worth of tools were purchased by him over a 50 year period.

Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking hard but also looking for a good deal. The Matco CK60K IS THE SAME as the OTC 5606. Just compare pictures, even the instructions are the same. So at $55 shipped that seems very good.
As far as the OTC being the same as Snap-On, I'm not buying it. I don't know if the current Snap-On models are made "in house" or by someone else but I haven't come across anything else yet that looks like the Snap-On. Snap-On claims country of origin for the current models as USA so that should knock out a lot of other companies that would make it for them. The OTC is made in China so obviously I would assume the Matco is too. I'm not knocking made in China tools, so lets not go there. I own Mac, Matco, Snap0-On, Craftsman and plenty of made in China stuff as well.

i've got alot of snap-on tools as well. i would be lying if i said they were junk. there are however tools just as good or better for 1/4 the cost with the same no questions asked exchanged warranty. i only buy mastercraft tools at this point (not to be confused with craftsman). they are priced like craftsman but come with the same guarantee as snap-on and feel like quality. an example would be their vice grips feel like rebranded original vice grip brand vice grips (yet they have a better warranty for less money. they are also a canadian tire house brand which is pretty much just all rebranded other tools BUT they are tough and i can go into any canadian tire in canada to exchange them which i don't recall ever having to do. i do remember hunting down that damn snap-on truck many times though lol i was at first concerned about the mastercraft electronics as they understandably don't fall under the lifetime exchange warranty but i did alot of work on boats and barges in the past with angle grinders and for every mastercraft i cooked i cooked 5 dewalts lol

for every mastercraft i cooked i cooked 5 dewalts lol
That surprises me. I'll admit that I'm pretty tough on angle grinders. I've burned up Harbor freight $12 grinders in a matter of minutes, but I'm on year 5 of two dewalt grinders. I also have a Hitachi and an old B&D professional (pre dewalt pro line of B&D). I put different wheels on each so I don't have to keep switching them out.

I do a lot of contractor work and I had a mastercraft sidewinder (not sure where it came from). It was decent but not any better than consumer Skil sold at walmart. I upgraded to a bosch a few years ago and ended up selling the mastercraft. It was a toy compared to the bosch.

With hand tools. I see no need to buy anything above middle rung. If you break end wrenches then you are a gorilla and should be grabbing the breaker bar.... If you keep breaking sockets, buy a cheap impact socket set.....

That surprises me. I'll admit that I'm pretty tough on angle grinders. I've burned up Harbor freight $12 grinders in a matter of minutes, but I'm on year 5 of two dewalt grinders. I also have a Hitachi and an old B&D professional (pre dewalt pro line of B&D). I put different wheels on each so I don't have to keep switching them out.

I do a lot of contractor work and I had a mastercraft sidewinder (not sure where it came from). It was decent but not any better than consumer Skil sold at walmart. I upgraded to a bosch a few years ago and ended up selling the mastercraft. It was a toy compared to the bosch.

With hand tools. I see no need to buy anything above middle rung. If you break end wrenches then you are a gorilla and should be grabbing the breaker bar.... If you keep breaking sockets, buy a cheap impact socket set.....

same here man. got a few angle grinders setup differently. i actually did a bunch of work on a 24' herring skiff a few months ago and cooked 2 dewalts on that project. both the same model. mind you they weren't new, the 2 mastercrafts on the job kept going and still work. i'm hating metal at this point. i need a plasma cutter. i actually pulled apart the dewalts to repair but both had burnt whindings. pull apart a dewalt and a mastercraft angle grinder. sure there is nothing interchangable in them but the quality is the same which is why i'm surprised i'm cooking dewalts. currently, i've been having great luck with milwaukee.

same here man. got a few angle grinders setup differently. i actually did a bunch of work on a 24' herring skiff a few months ago and cooked 2 dewalts on that project. both the same model. mind you they weren't new, the 2 mastercrafts on the job kept going and still work. i'm hating metal at this point. i need a plasma cutter. i actually pulled apart the dewalts to repair but both had burnt whindings. pull apart a dewalt and a mastercraft angle grinder. sure there is nothing interchangable in them but the quality is the same which is why i'm surprised i'm cooking dewalts. currently, i've been having great luck with milwaukee.
I like milwaukee quite a bit, if I can find deals at CPO or discount tools I'll buy it first. I've been impressed and have been buying ridgid recently. Their cordless tools are made in the same factory as Milwaukee and share a lot of the same parts (in AUS they are sold under the name AEG). I have the new Gen5x 18v lithium set and in my opinion it is the best price to performance on the market. It puts some of my corded tools to shame. I've used Milwaukee fuel, dewalt 18v and 20v, and Makita sets on jobs. In my opinion the Ridgid is every bit the same quality and performance. Milwaukee fuel is the top tier of cordless and $300 higher than the Ridgid, but not $300 better quality, performance, or warrantee.

i like mac tools they are always doing 100.00 to 129.00 deals. the pliers and compression tester was 100.00 each. the leakdown tester was 129.00 i know the leakdown tester is not on sale anymore. but i think the compression tester still is but done hold me to it compression tester.JPG leakdown tester.JPG ten piece plier set.JPG

+1 on otc from amazon. I'm a mechanic by trade and use it nearly daily along with using it in my spare time on saws. I've compared it to my coworkers expensive snap on gauges that they paid waaayyy more for and it's dead nuts with they're gauges.

I believe OTC makes the snap on comp tester gauge.

Latest posts

Back