Sodding a yard around 2 maples, clay soil, exposed roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom3000

Reaction score
Hi,

My daughter is 1 and now loves to run. We want to improve the groundcovering in our 600 sq ft backyard. There are two old maple trees that are very large (2 ft diameter approx each). The ground is naturally clay. The yard is currently very tough, with exposed roots, making it a little unfriendly for her to run around on.

I would like to find a softer ground covering that my daughter can play on that doesn't impact the tree. Our naive thoughts were till and sod, but reading here sounds a bit dangerous to the tree health.

Can anyone help with suggestions or advice? I will post pictures once the snow all melts :)

Thanks
Tom

Won't be easy.
Sugar maples are allelopathic & prefer sweet well drained soil.
Sounding like a broken record... best to install mulch bed over the surface roots & bare spots, establish tolerant grasses (tall fescue & Kentucky bluegrass) away from the trees.
In your case with a 600 sq ft rear yard it's time to sell the mower.

Won't be easy.
Sugar maples are allelopathic & prefer sweet well drained soil.
Sounding like a broken record... best to install mulch bed over the surface roots & bare spots, establish tolerant grasses (tall fescue & Kentucky bluegrass) away from the trees.
In your case with a 600 sq ft rear yard it's time to sell the mower.
I didn't know sugars were allelopathic. Good info as always Rain. Any specific plants that won't grow around them or is it just certain grasses. I know pack o sandra grows great around them but that would not work for the yard. Mulch bed would certainly be the easiest option.
On a 20 by 30 back yard a low decking structure might work. It's not soft, but it would keep the traffic off the trees roots and the tripping factor would be eliminated. Anything is possible with the right budget!

I just realized I fail at math. It's 50x30, not 20x30.

I'm thinking Irish moss as the covering for 20ft near the trees, and till and sod or seed the further part of the lawn.

Am I still dreaming?

Would like to see mosses used more in the landscape, I enjoy seeing a well done fern & moss garden.
However wear & tear from a toddler in a limited yard on your new shallow rooted moss would be frustrating. Also the PH compatibility with your sugars is an issue.

Latest posts

Back