softwood prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U2bwolfb4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
does anyone know what the 2015 softwood cant prices are starting at,, and if so, does the hardwood grading , system help or hurt more in the long run,, I'am milling pallet cant's, my first time in the softwood market,, need some input please???

well I finally got some info on yellow pine an cottonwood, the yellow pine on 13 cents per bdft.. cottonwood at 12.5 cents a bdft.. that's on the low end, I am doing my own operation, from the cutting, hauling, milling. and del,,after all that I have 5.5 cent's in cost's, that's with no hangup's, that's leaving me 7.5 cent's profit. figuring I have 5 hr.s in it. an that's on 1500 ft.. cut cycle. so I'am avg. about 21.oo a hr,, does anyone have any advice?? beside's get better sale's, I"am thinking I could use some time saving tip's to help me,, since it is just me, an my better half, I'd like to get near the 27.00 to 30.oo range,, I do ok on my hardwoods, I'am getting on avg. 28 cent's per bdft.. almost have the same cost's in the stumpage, as my softwood's. and my contract penalize's me if I don't cut an haul it.. I know should'a read the fine print, I'am a beginner at this. looking for some tip's thanx u2bwolfb4

prices vary so much by location and free advice is usually worth what you pay- here is my useless info

around here a cord of 8"diameter pine 8'8" length brings $180/cord delivered to the mill, figure what, maybe 2.2 cords per thousand feet, so that would be almost 40cent per board foot for the raw forest product- bolts(small logs)

there are some sawmills here that will saw for 15cent per board foot but that is the low end of what I see

-dave

Back