Solar kiln

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I see on the Virginia Tech site how the placed vents. In the details there is a chart of maximum drying times. Apparently, oak is the slowest dryer of them all. According to their chart, 1" oak can be dried at 3 percent per day, and 2" at 1.5% per day. I assume that the chart is linear, meaning that 3" oak can be dried at 0.75% per day. At that rate it should take 3-4 months to dry 3" oak boards which is far better than 3 years.

Has anyone experienced serious adverse consequences from drying oak faster (assuming all other details were handled correctly)? Just wondering because I might not be inclined to monitor the progress all that closely.

OK, so I see on the Virginia Tech site how the placed vents. In the details there is a chart of maximum drying times. Apparently, oak is the slowest dryer of them all. According to their chart, 1" oak can be dried at 3 percent per day, and 2" at 1.5% per day. I assume that the chart is linear, meaning that 3" oak can be dried at 0.75% per day. At that rate it should take 3-4 months to dry 3" oak boards which is far better than 3 years.

Has anyone experienced serious adverse consequences from drying oak faster (assuming all other details were handled correctly)? Just wondering because I might not be inclined to monitor the progress all that closely.

Drying it faster would cause the wood to check and split, which is what your trying to avoid isn't it?
Even if it took the 3" oak 6 months to kiln dry then yes it alot better that 3 years air drying. :msp_unsure:

Here's a link to multiple solar kilns: Solar Wood Drying

If you dry Oak too quickly, you will not like the results unless you need some firewood. Besides warping and end-checks, the lumber can (and probably will) become honeycombed. Honeycomb is wide internal checks that usually don't show up until the lumber is milled. It basically renders the lumber worthless for construction. I really don't think 3" Oak can be successfully dried in 3-4 months.

The beauty in a solar kiln is that the wood gets "conditioned" every night when the temperature drops and the humidity rises. (the fan(s) should be shut off) The exterior of the lumber resorbs moisture which keeps it in balance with the wetter core. That reduces/eliminates the stress introduced by the drying process.

If you have a 24 hr timer on the fans (about $50 at Home depot) a solar kiln is pretty close to a set it and forget it mode of drying lumber.

Solar panel

If someone would install one or two solar panel to run the fan you would have a self contained unit that could be located away from electrical power.

Latest posts

Back