some advice for a tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRCCCCCCCCCCCCCCAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!! :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Darn this thread went to **** fast and now you all laying the boots in ... lighten up a bit guys eh? He's already taken 900lbs off, he will get there.

God will protect you, who do you think gave us the idea for making and wearing chaps? Now it's the devil who'll tell ya you dont need them! :)

i respect all advice given but i believe i will do fine.all the best and god bless. bill howe.p.s my personal saftey dont matter to me i aint suicidal or any thing i just dont care or worry for that matter.god protects me.

:jawdrop: I believe in God,I also believe that I have sense enough to not climb too high in that dead elm or to tie in twice maybe even 3 times when I'm in a some precarious,sketchy spot,or to come down when that lightnings acomin.
I also believe in calling in a bucket on those rare occasions when I just don't trust climbing that tree or a crane because that 75 ft silver maple is just so hollow and so heavy and what if it should split out?

treeseer is right on the money saying it's all about accessing the risk and knowing limitations,yours and the trees
youve got your whole life ahead of you dont have your 15 mins of fame be a news clip of some local kid who died in a buddies tree

god

my priest once said "God helps those that help themselves"...
Figures your 19 Bill. Ever wonder why the military almost exclusively recruits young kids; don't worry you'll be the one to make it through.
I expect in 5 or so years, hopefully sooner, you'll resurrect this post and let us know how wrong your were.
GOOD LUCK for the in-term

SAAAAAAAYYYYYY...in the spirit of this thread, anyone an electrician here? :biggrinbounce2: see...i gots this 100,000volt main trunkline that i want to splice a few leads into....so i can run 500 feet of copper housewire out to the field, see? my plan is to drive rebar into the wet ground and wrap the copper around the rebar see? i want to keep them pesky deer outta my weed garden...they are cutting into my profits see......

so is this the best route to go? i read a book once and learned sum basic electricity by reading a few catalogs, and plan to do this anyways tommorow. but i still want to hear your opinion eh, cuz i'm stuboorn and like to argue....

Take the caulks out of your Viking boots and you'll be fine.

:jawdrop:

i will be useing a husky 51 with a 16 inch bar for the most part but will put the 20 incher on it for some of the limbs.ihave a few handsaws 100 ft climb line my saftey and of course spikes and my el cheapo saddle.i cant put pics on computer is to small.i will tell how it goes when i do it.i have read all advice given and with the advice of another pro who has done it for some time who is not an as member i have elected to do it my self.i also offered other alternatives for the tree trimming to weight it away from lines and fences and cabling but ray said he dont want the tree just take it down. i respect all advice given but i believe i will do fine.all the best and god bless. bill howe.p.s my personal saftey dont matter to me i aint suicidal or any thing i just dont care or worry for that matter.god protects me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh dear, oh dear...
If your personal safety doesn't matter to you, how do you treat those around you?
How do you think many of those here have managed to attain years in excess of 19 or 20 or 40 or 50???? Personal safety is NUMBER ONE!!!

I have done several jobs where I took great care of my personal safety, inspected the tree and the surroundings, got up in the tree and guess what...?
That still quiet voice within said 'not today' and down I have come. A belief in God will serve you very well, just be sure to LISTEN, and sometimes He is speaking to you through others. Even those who think you can do this if you take your time have CAUTION and SAFETY at the top of their list. And one has told you point blank you will break the law if you work in proximity to power lines...buddy....LISTEN.

A couple of other things jumped out at me here too...'el cheapo saddle' '16" bar ...20" for some of the limbs'
I am concerned for your handling skills of a big bar in a big tree with big limbs and you are a newbie in a cheapie saddle...

Discretion is the better part of valour, get help...live and learn

oh really new guy? a husky?

I thought you'd be using a stihl for this job, especialy considering the praise you gave them on your other thread.

i know many of you think i should call a pro to do it but that is not an option

How is it not an option....embarassed or can't swallow some humble pride....:confused:

on the other hand i could ask a pro to watch me and help if it goes south, which it wont

which it wont?? That right there sums up your immaturity. You could spend days searching this site and read about accidents that shouldn't have happened but their called accidents for a reason. You started this thread stating you have not done anything this big before and are searching for advice but when you are given stern advice on getting a pro which you also stated you are not...you become this immortal "lumberjack" that doesn't need any help :dizzy: :confused: I can drop a tree and I have a 14" poplar near my house and I'm not going to mess with it....I like my house...i'm calling a PRO....see not that hard.
Get some training....hang out with the seasoned veterans...learn a ton.

Make sure you have enough in your portfolio to cover the fines.

newbie to tree climbing

Hi Bill,
I know you want to do this job, but what the other guys say is right, it sounds really dangerous. At least find an experienced climber to stand on the ground and guide you through it. You really should'nt attempt this though, we all know horror stories. Only you know where the tree is situated, and I know you think you know how it will pan out,....but there are so many unknown factors which can really turn things on their heads in a matter of seconds. Do'nt let pigheadedness stand in the way of common sense. These guys are right!

Polly:dizzy:

Holy smokes-two women just agreed with us guys!! Will wonders never cease?:D

Welcome to the site polly.
the only thing that is gonna keep me outta that tree is if it falls on its own period.i dont have a bad feeling about it. i have climbed and worked in it and have consulted with pros about it.you can say what you would like but if it is stay on the ground kid i am not listening.good day bill

the only thing that is gonna keep me outta that tree is if it falls on its own period.i dont have a bad feeling about it. i have climbed and worked in it and have consulted with pros about it.you can say what you would like but if it is stay on the ground kid i am not listening.good day bill

Hey Newguy-IQ-18,

Listen to your elders!!!

i tell you what man, i am not that much older than you are and have been at this for a while. i will be the first to admit the first couple, i thought i was doing it all right, looking back i was doing alot wrong (climbing trees with a deerstand for take downs!). Listen to these guys to an extent. If this tree means that much to you do it, but do it slowly. You are young, face it, you dont know as much as older guys, its not a jab at you, they have just seen the sun rise and set more times. bear in mind though, if this tree doesnt get you, the next one or the one after that will. know your limits, i for one had a hard time learning mine, but when i did, the job became alot more fun, i made ALOT more money and now that i am married, i know i will be able to see the sun rise with my wife alot more days. learn to value life man, dont fear the unknown, but lean what you dont know and learn the unknown from the knowing. become greatful for what you have. With that i dont give a d@mn about life attitude, you will never make a good anything in this field, calm down a bit. Lastly, good luck, take your time, and make sure someone with at least a little commonsense is helping/ watching you (with a cell phone near by)

Last edited:
thanks for the welcome,

Bill I wonder why you ask for advice when your clearly hell bent on doing something stupid anyway.Please write interesting things for this forum , because what you are going on about becoming sooooo boring! just go and cut the damn tree down.
next topic please:clap:

Next topic - Hi Polly, we're going to start a minority support group here, we, the minority will support the majority when they are RIGHT!:cheers:

Funny, my last customer's name was Howe, big poinciana with internal rot...

Last edited:
Next topic - Hi Polly, we're going to start a minority support group here, we, the minority will support the majority when they are RIGHT!
Hey Bermie that is funny.

things I don't hear/youth

hi my names bill howe and i do not do trees professionally yet and a friend of mine had me trimming a tree for him on monday.i do know a lot about trees and proper pruning and trimming practices but as i was doing it i found it has a cavity on one side oak wilt and it has heart rot. i told him that it was unsafe for his fence and power lines but it is not near his house.it is a good sized tree for this area eight ft diameter 110 ft canopy spread and seventy five foot tall.i already took the limbs out of the power but he wants it pieced out for fire wood and i have never done somting this big before. any advice would be greatly appreciated.my plan is to tie in with my climb line saftey and spurs. and because it is rotton but alive i will be taking pieces about fire wood length so i dont split it out and cause an accident. :chainsawguy: :newbie: :bang:

Did you take up a small hammer with you to sound the limbs you are cutting and the trunk you are climbing? Tap the tree and listen to it. Does it say I'm hollow or I'm safe to climb? A big old tree may bring bragging rights but it is a tree that can teach you a lot more but only if you take the time to listen to what it has to say. Big old trees took a long time to get that big, take the time to listen to what it has to tell you. @55, I'm to old to be so Gung Ho on a quest for bragging rights (big tree maddness) I ignore the need to live another day. Been there done that, take your time and learn from the tree and the others here.

Newguy18

Mitchell made a great point by saying use a professional for training purposes. Get a professional who will allow you to do some or all of the work under his/her guidance. Its not about doing it- Its about doing it right!

Good luck

Latest posts

Back