Some considerations for the dial-up members...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For those with broadband, highspeed, or anything faster than dial-up, please keep the following in mind when posting:

Images...resize them to 100k or smaller.

When quoting a post, delete out the image codes when possible. If an original post is pic heavy, your quote with image will quadruple the time it takes for the thread to load.

Dial-up speed is 48kb/sec of data.

Dial-up download speed when it is an image is 5.4kb/sec.

There are a lot of members who live rural, and dial-up is the only option, so please consider our limitations of use, especially during this picture heavy firewood burning season.

Thanks a cord.

This site:rockn:

Meh, other forums where I post may just put a warning in the thread title. I think that works fine.

Also, last I checked, satellite reception is good pretty much all over the country, so I'd say dial up isn't really the only option.

Meh, other forums where I post may just put a warning in the thread title. I think that works fine.

Also, last I checked, satellite reception is good pretty much all over the country, so I'd say dial up isn't really the only option.

I understand the frustration of dial-up and pictures and agree that a warning in the post title such as (pics) might be a good idea.

Satellite works great, I've been using it for a couple years now. It's the only option to dial-up in my area. The cost is not that bad now, and is, IMO, definitely worth it if you spend much time at all on the internet.

For those with broadband, highspeed, or anything faster than dial-up, please keep the following in mind when posting:

When quoting a post, delete out the image codes when possible. If an original post is pic heavy, your quote with image will quadruple the time it takes for the thread to load.

There are a lot of members who live rural, and dial-up is the only option, so please consider our limitations of use, especially during this picture heavy firewood burning season.

Thanks a cord.

good points to consider.

thanks.

if/when i post pictures, i'll keep that in mind.

Thanks a cord.

Wdchuck, I wish you luck in your request.......but don't get your hopes up as you are not the first one bring it up.

In your control panel, go to edit options, then to Thread Display Options , then uncheck the boxes as required. Then you will no longer see images, imbedded or not.

Well i have been guilty of the large pics, I remember how slow dial up is. I have been trying to post smaller pics lately. I even deleted the img codes before and was ask to post the pic again others didn't want to open up the pic. I will try to be more considerate when posting pics. Also if i start a thread with pics i will post warnings. Sorry for my large pics and i will try to be more cosiderate.

Thanks a cord.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Working out of town, or in slow-data areas brings back memories of dial-up services.

It is very clear to me what a rip-off dial-up service is. It is very expensive for the use you can get out of it.

If you were paying for the amount of data, a good hi-speed service will be a lot more enjoyable. YouTube alone could justify the cost.

Thanks Wdchuck,
I'm on dial-up. No faster than 28.8 kbps around here. I'm lucky to download @ 3.0 kbps.
Only other option for me is satellite @ 100.00 a month : ( I'll stick with 14.99
dial-up.

Thanks Wdchuck,
I'm on dial-up. No faster than 28.8 kbps around here. I'm lucky to download @ 3.0 kbps.
Only other option for me is satellite @ 100.00 a month : ( I'll stick with 14.99
dial-up.

Wow! The satellite service I'm using is $56 a month. Fairly expensive but well worth it since I have to quite a bit of work online.

Thanks Wdchuck,
dial-up.

Good point. Winter is a time of greater expense from heating source, and less daylight.
3kpbs....wow...I'll bet you can eat dinner and do the dishes before one pic is finished loading.

A member here sent me a resize program, wonderful, since I have to make the file smaller to upload to an image hosting site. My upload speed is 500 bytes per sec.

Running a pic through a resize program is only two extra clicks of the mouse, a right click, a left click, and done. Saves minutes and hours over the course of a few threads, or a long thread, like one of woodsheds, piles, and favorite hauling tools, that have many pics from different posters.

Trimmed, all a person can do is ask.

Thanks a cord.

Yeah like me I am a blazing 28 k wow so ? I don't know if that is fast,
slow in my opinion!

I live out in the sticks and have satellite and I think it stinks. My provider is almost as slow as dialup. I have contacted them numerous times, and they dont care. They just remind me I have a 2 year contract I will have to pay E.T. fees if I shut it down. I just try to be patient when big pictures load, because its usually a detailed pics of a saw or other tool I want to buy, so I had to learn patience.

I live out in the sticks and have satellite and I think it stinks. My provider is almost as slow as dialup. I have contacted them numerous times, and they dont care. They just remind me I have a 2 year contract I will have to pay E.T. fees if I shut it down. I just try to be patient when big pictures load, because its usually a detailed pics of a saw or other tool I want to buy, so I had to learn patience.

I have patience bow hunting I am too old for patience on my
puter so I skip the downloads and ask wth it was or wait until
I get the just of the topic!

When i had dial up, The downloads went untouched too. Hardly anything would load when i had earthlink. Don't think i could ever go back after broadband.

I have never known the differance and can't afford to, my wife
tells me and I always say; well I don't say anything just look like
she is talking Latin or something, money in my pocket:monkey:

I'm on dial-up. Probably post more pictures than most here, down size them always.

The "post a warning in the thread title" is not an answer as people want to read the thread.

Checking options so as not to see pictures is also not an option as I many times want to see the picture and will wait for it.

Those who are lucky enough to have other than dial up can take the few clicks to downsize pictures same as we on dieal up do. There is no need for a full size picture in this forum. Saying that getting off dial-up is thanswer is also not an option. It COSTS to do that.

Bottom line is those making the above suggestions are about the same as a guy driving a cadillac telling the VW drivers to buy a cadillac.

Harry K

I have dialup usually connect at around 50Kbps as I am next to the exchange, but broadband is a hit and miss affair here.
I have it at work which is a more remote area but not at home which is less remote!
Satellite and 3G telephones are coming but just not to my village yet....
There is a limit to how detailed you can see pictures on a screen is it 300dpi?

Back