Some ideas if you please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mother's property had a lot of trees that size that I couldn't climb, about 20 years ago.

The trees were in the midst of others, which kept it from really falling over when cut.

I'd just cut the trunk in two places, about 2' apart, so the trunk would collapse and drop 2' at a time. I'd stand 4' away so it would not smash my feet.

Worked great every time for about 50 trees.

Maybe that's the slash method described above.

slash cut

the shash cut is when you cut through a standing tree on a downward angle usualy 45degree, when the cut is completed the tree slides down off the stub hitting the ground. if the cut is not made fast enough the cut will open and the tree will lay over, this opening in most parts is avoided by starting your 45degree cut from the side and once you are over half way through rotate your saw in the cut, cutting off the remainder of the slash cut in a downward motion. If there is a lean, or a wind it could open your cut too early or pinch your saw. A slash cut should not be done if there is anything near that you dont want damaged, because once the tree is cut it can go where ever it wants. very effective approach in smaller trees but the bigger it is the worse your chances of completing the cut

Just a thought, I don't know if Rob has checked out the theard entitled Hinge forensics in the Commercial site, but there are some great pics of what not to do!!!!

Re: slash cut

Originally posted by Dobber
the shash cut is when you cut through a standing tree on a downward angle usualy 45degree, when the cut is completed the tree slides down off the stub hitting the ground. if the cut is not made fast enough the cut will open and the tree will lay over, this opening in most parts is avoided by starting your 45degree cut from the side and once you are over half way through rotate your saw in the cut, cutting off the remainder of the slash cut in a downward motion. If there is a lean, or a wind it could open your cut too early or pinch your saw. A slash cut should not be done if there is anything near that you dont want damaged, because once the tree is cut it can go where ever it wants. very effective approach in smaller trees but the bigger it is the worse your chances of completing the cut

One can also do this as a bore cut, start 2/3 throught the tree, cut through, then make a top cut slightly above the first one.

Not exactly for beginners though.

Back