Some Information Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I wonder if I could possibly ask for some assistance? I am seeking information re- qualifications needed to apply for a position as a ground crew person in the tree maintenance profession. I have looked into a couple of chainsaw operating courses which sound pretty good. I won’t bore you with the details of them but I will tell you that the first course goes for 60 hours and the course following that is 80 hours. According to the papers I got from the place where the courses are run, by the end of the second course I would be learning the removal of hazardous trees. I am not at all sure if this is all the qualification I would need or if more would be needed. I am in Australia at the moment so I am guessing the laws there would be different to here so if I could just get a rough idea of the qualification needed there I would appreciate it very much. Thanks for your time.
:confused:

I would recommend finding a job first, then taking the classes after that. The company should pay for part or all of the training. Secondly, you would benefit from already having a job in the field because you could better select which niche you wish to pursue.

Perhaps while working you find that you don't care for hazardous removals. Then, you could take a class in trimming, or shrub care, or plant health care....the list goes on.

If you decide to not get a job first, you should at least consult with local firms to find what they look for in an ground person. Our company looks for a decent driver's license. That's all you need for our company because we'll train our own employees.

Nickrosis

I agree with Nickrosis. The experience is invaluable when adding courses and qualifications.

Remember to be adequately trained with regards to safety in whatever endeavors you reach for, but try a number of related work areas before spending many hours of time (and perhaps money) in further training.

Good luck to you!

Gopher

The number one issue is likely to be honesty/RELIABILITY. If you have a good reputation and will show up for WORK you are way ahead of most of those competing for the job. Most arborists are willing to train their help. The BIG frustration in this industry (and many others) is investing time and money in drunks, flakes and deserters.

I agree with everyone:blob2:

All you need for ground crew is a good attitude, fortitude and the ability to show up a few minutes early every day.

Groundie is usualy an entry level position that is hard labor/OJT

Maybe get a copy of "the tree clibers companion" by Jeff Jepson, from our sponsor Sherrill. Knowing knots is a good way to advance.

Shop around for employers, people like Jumper can tell you that there is a very wide variety of players in the industry.

Latest posts

Back