Some local monster trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffL

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure for some of you in various parts of the country these may not be all that large, but for these parts, these are some pretty darn big trees. :cheers: All within 5 minutes of each other in Old Deerfield right off i-91 in Massachusetts, right up the road from me. Not to mention I'm a mile from the "Sunderland Sycamore" as well. :bowdown:

Took these today, using my 5'2" girlfriend as reference. ;)

One of the guys I work with has pruned this tree. Says it ranks in his top 5. American Elm I believe.

BIgelmhouse.jpg

Not terribly uncommon, a huge Cottonwood, but pretty large nonetheless for around here, at least trunk size wise.

Bigpoplar.jpg

BIgpoplar2.jpg

Another fairly notable Elm on this private school campus in town.

Bigelm.jpg

One of the larger Sycamores in the area I believe.

Bigsyc1.jpg

Bigsyc.jpg

Black Walnut, I had to back WAAYYY up to fit all this in the frame.

Bigwalnut.jpg

Bigwalnut1.jpg

And this is a short hike into the woods a few minutes down the road from where I work. A 120+ foot forest grown Tulip Poplar. Trunk isnt very notable, but the height is, especially for this area. :)

Bigtulip2.jpg

Bigtulip.jpg

Thats in Deerfield, MA, in "Historic Deerfield".

And that Sycamore? Pffft, thats the small one. The REALLY big one is 5 minutes down the road from me in the other direction. ;) I wanna guess its roughly in the 7.5-8+ foot DBH range. :jawdrop:

Yeah, just checked, last measurement I could find only was 25' in circumference, which puts the DBH of the tree right around 8'.

Last edited:
Sorry I just got to see your reply. National Grid blew my breaker panal out, as well as my computer!!:chainsaw: I hope you'll snap a shot of that other sycamore. We have a few really big copper beech around here.I'll try and snag a few shots.:greenchainsaw:

Thats in Deerfield, MA, in "Historic Deerfield".

And that Sycamore? Pffft, thats the small one. The REALLY big one is 5 minutes down the road from me in the other direction. ;) I wanna guess its roughly in the 7.5-8+ foot DBH range. :jawdrop:

Yeah, just checked, last measurement I could find only was 25' in circumference, which puts the DBH of the tree right around 8'.
show us the big one!!:cheers:

They are all in a "Historic" town, they do tours of the old buildings and the whole area is kept looking 18th century, the houses are lived in mostly, just updated on the insides for the most part. Most of the trees in the pics are on a private school campus, which employs their own arborist I believe in some form, so the trees are looked after. (Although how well I dont know, pruned for deadwood pretty well, although some of the cabling/support systems in the trees are suspect at best, I counted 10 cables in that Sycamore alone, most placed very poorly.) Apparently that Sycamore in the last pictures is one of the tallest in New England based on the records I could find online. Last measurement put it in the 112-115ft range. Records were old, so could be even larger now.

I finally have a chance to get a picture of the "really big" one today, so that'll be up later. :)

Last edited:
beautiful trees...I sure would llike to travel back in time to the old primeval forests of the eastern seaboard...guy gets a little tired of tall straight coniferous forests out here...

And heres the BIG Sycamore down the road. Thats a 4 foot wide sidewalk, and a 5'9" me for reference. :dizzy:

Dont quote me on this, but I believe I read that based on wood volume, this is one of the larger Sycamores in the eastern half of the country?

Sunderlandsyc.jpg

Sunderlandsyc3.jpg

SUnderlandsyc2.jpg

Last edited:
And heres the BIG Sycamore down the road. Thats a 4 foot wide sidewalk, and a 5'9" me for reference. :dizzy:

Dont quote me on this, but I believe I read that based on wood volume, this is one of the larger Sycamores in the eastern half of the country?

Sunderlandsyc3.jpg
I like your other measuring stick better. :clap:

Great pics...nice trees. How about re-taking these pictures in 90 degree weather...I'm sure your g/f would be much more comfy in a bikini.

Back