Some new kits for me...Sr. Gents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Having had to wait a few days to receive a 37/64th drill bit from a vendor on amazon.com was driving me nutz....just a little. But it was my fault for not looking closely enough when ordering some new(to me)kits from timberbits.com

This stuff is also one species that carries a few 'common names'....but {Cupressus nootkatensis} can never be anything but awesome(at least in this form...a burl)! Alaskan Yellow Cedar burl! Woohoo!!!!

Sr. Gent chrome rollerball:

Seems Saturdays are made for turning stuff? Well, at least here it is!
Almost forgot how bad this stuff smells when being drilled! Made the 'One-that-must-be-obeyed' run out of the garage to get fresh air, and she is a smoker!

Anyway....Desert Ironwood{Olneya tesota} on a Sr. Gent 'gold rollerball'
Finished by sanding to 600grit, applied BLO, then EEE friction polish, and then waxed.

Next up! How many names can a species be given before it gets confusing? Easy.....a LOT!!

This is a chunk of stuff I have very little of, so it isn't offered on the website, and I'm keeping what little I have left. It goes by the name 'Maclura pomifera' always...but can be called "Osage orange, hedge apple, horse apple, bois d'arc, bodark, or bodock".

This stuff is hard! After sanding to 600grit, I felt it would be a waste of time to do much else with it. So I applied some BLO, waited awhile and then EEE and waxed....ready to drive nails now!

Sr. Gent chrome:

And finally.....crosscut Pignut Hickory on a gold Sr. Gent rollerball!
Seems I've avoided burning my syes out by using Minwax Wood Hardener instead of thinCA!!! The worm trails stayed put, with no need to fill!

This is the reason I cut wood on my mill....simple fun on a Saturday. Jamming(ok, the iPod was jamming and I was doing my best not to scare the small children by singing along) in the garage and making sawdust!!!! There isn't much sawdust when turning pens this large, but there was some nice coloring on the floor.

Scott (a pigs' what did he say?) B

Latest posts

Back