Some pics of recent burl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burlhunter13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to post pictures of some box elder burl. Really gloomy, cloudy day....photos don't do justice on the figure.

Around 20" base diameter, sat for 5 years drying.
EasterBean2012188.jpg

About to raise the mill and make first cut.
EasterBean2012190.jpg

oooooooo:rock: Photos are bla, much nicer in sunlight. Small bark inclusions, overall pretty nice, good red and blues.
EasterBean2012197.jpg

Close up
EasterBean2012196.jpg

Center of log was dry rotted (piece on mill), from sitting for so long it checked real bad.....but just the center "cant" everything else is nice.
EasterBean2012198.jpg

Different burl, spalted/ant-farm/root section. Really neat.
EasterBean2012200.jpg

close-up. Very heavy curl and colors.
EasterBean2012201.jpg

I'll try to post more soon, I have been cutting all my burls up and misc logs/pieces in hopes to make my move to Wisconsin(Sharon) easier in 2-3 weeks.
Thanks for looking, everyone always wants to know what this stuff looks like. Cheers.

I have some Box Elder burp also... How does the color hold up? Mine has been cut about 3 months, haven't looked at it since I stickered it.

I have some Box Elder burp also... How does the color hold up? Mine has been cut about 3 months, haven't looked at it since I stickered it.

Cool piece you got there....was there insect damage.....I mill a lot of carpenter ant infested box elder.

Color holds up well when not exposed to uv light. I have some slabs from 5 years ago that are still loaded with color. The red will tend to lighten up and maybe even turn a little pinkish. But again....depending on light exposure. High temperature will tend to oxidize the color as well. So work combo is in direct sunlight in the summer.....color can fade completely away in as fast as 2 days. In any case the color only disappears in the first 1/8 or so thick. Run it through the planner and the color comes back.

Stuff is a blast to work with.....love milling it, never know what kind of color/figure will pop. I will post pictures soon of the monster box elder burl i recently acquired. Should make some nice 1 piece guitar bodies and gunstocks.

Back