Some pictures of the island

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Roland

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I moved to a barrier island just south of wilmington and somewhat north of myrtle beach. The island is about 8 miles long uniquely situated between the Cape Fear River and the Atlantic Ocean. My days are spent watching my 3 year old and studying for BCMA. My study group wanted some pics of the trees I describe.
Thought you all might enjoy.

Lets start off @ the southern end of the island with the phenomenon known as salt sculpting. Salt Sculpting reflects the salt spray from the surf zone carried inland on the wind. Trees and shrubs in the secondary dune field have a characteristic aerodynamic appearance from the wind-borne salt constantly killing new growth.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maritime Forests are sometimes found along the back side of barrier islands in the shelter of the secondary dune field. Liveoaks, southern magnolias, and cabbage palms shade understory species such as the red bay, yaupon and American holly, sparkleberry, wax myrtle, saw palmetto, vines (muscadine, cat brier, Virginia creeper), Spanish moss, with lots of ferns and woods flowers. This shot is throught the last bit of wooded area over the cape fear.

attachment.php

Did you know palms will propagate if they fall over and the tops make intimate contact with the soil?

attachment.php

Just kidding. This is a picture of a sago with a failed sabal behind it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Some more shots

This arborvitae and small silver maple were doing just fine until Hanna came through over the summer.

attachment.php

Some examples of the local talent.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My ugly mug with a nice sunset over the fear.

attachment.php

Got your Christmas tree up yet?

attachment.php

Ed, thank you so much for sharing. It is really a treat to see "the rest of the world". (You had me going there for a minute on the palm regeneration...)

A beautiful place to live, I am sure. Although I don't know what we would do without our mountains. And yes, they are "our" mountains! :)

This pic is from our front porch.

Sylvia

Holy smokes, Sylvia! Thats creepy beautiful!

Tom, Magnificent!

I do not think I can top those.

But that's just it, isn't it? There are so many beautiful places. Each with its own allure.

Tom, absolutely fantastic picture. But what a commute! Your location says NY. Do you get to Florida often? We have residents here who "snow bird". Here in Montana for the summer and Arizona or So. Cal for the winter.

Sylvia

A total nonsequitor but because it is David's favorite holiday next week...this next pic is all he can think about. Really, he likes Thanksgiving more than Christmas! This pic was taken this spring at a job on the west side of the valley.

i live in st pete beach and glen cove L I yup 2 tree services my son runs the one on L I i go back 2 to 3 days a week to climb and keep and eye on him st pete my family runs wen i am not there so tom trees is on jet blue a Lott

...this next pic is all he can think about. Really, he likes Thanksgiving more than Christmas! This pic was taken this spring at a job on the west side of the valley.

attachment.php

Delicious! Is that Helianthus maximiliani in the background?

This is the southern most tip of the island where the cape fear river meets the Atlantic ocean. Decent surf spot .5 miles to the N. but sharks love to feed here. I dont care much for little black fins popping up around my legs.

attachment.php

Tom trees, what are you pulling out of that spot? I can not seem to catch anything but pinfish and croakers.

sheep heads all you can get w tube worms is that fort desoto be four the bridge to tierra verde tom trees

I used to live on tierra verde, years ago when there was nothing there but Billy's restaurant, a seven eleven and a bunch of condos.

What's it like now?

How far are you from Carolina/Kure beach. The wife and I usually hit the beach in that area. Grandparents vacationed in Kure for 53 years in a row. They missed 1 year for war and health kept them from going thier last 2 years. We are trying to carry on the tradition.

How far are you from Carolina/Kure beach. The wife and I usually hit the beach in that area. Grandparents vacationed in Kure for 53 years in a row. They missed 1 year for war and health kept them from going thier last 2 years. We are trying to carry on the tradition.

:clap: You hit it! I am in between Carolina beach pier and Kure beach pier. Great surf @ one and better fishing @ the other. Lets hope the developers stay away!

I used to live on tierra verde, years ago when there was nothing there but Billy's restaurant, a seven eleven and a bunch of condos.

What's it like now?

ok you got me be hind billy's now is new condos going up shell island off limits to all may be see you at the marry pier some day tom trees

Have they torn out the old boardwalk/pavillion area? Last time we were there they were going to put some big hotel in that area. Freddies by the Kure pier is the best Italian food I have eaten.the blue water reality pegged your location we always rent with them. I forgot my metal detector in the house we rented. I called figured I was out of luck blue water sent it back to me ups no charge.I love that area because it is so laid back when we go to the beach we want to lay on the beach,drink beer,eat good food and thats it no shopping no rides just chill.

Last edited:
Woodweasel I tried to send you a pm but it says your inbox is full. Just had a couple questions as I'm moving down there in the spring.

tomtrees...wouldnt happen to have any relation to a tom the tree man heard occasionally on a certian radio show out of tampa/st pete would you???

Latest posts

Back