Some questions from a beginner - advice on my Stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
044, my Baby! Man you have got yourself a winner. Very powerful, two hands at all times and just be careful. I got a nice "Kiss" on the foot 3 years ago and could not walk for a month. Small price to pay for the hundreds or maybe even a thousand or two trees that has been taken care of. Should last you a long time if you take care. Congrats on a first rate saw.

Hello, from an FNG

First of all, let me say hello. I have been "lurking" for a while absorbing knowledge until my head explodes while trying to keep the wallet closed. Thanks for all the great knowledge and entertainment.
I am pretty much an FNG with this stuff. I have used chainsaws but was never really serious until about a year or so ago, now I am infected and the "doctors" here don't really help find a cure. It started with my hunt for good wood when I started to get a little more serious about wood turning. I don't know what I like better, turning or cutting.
But enough of this mindless dribble.
I'd figure I'd throw in my penny.

I have been wearing the Labonville chaps and like them.
They feel comfortable, cover well and stay put.
The price is more than reasonable, cheap if you consider that they can save a leg or too.

I always wear the chaps, gloves, boots and forestry helmet when cutting. I also have a shirt as well which, depending on the weather and the cutting, I don't always wear.

Pauster, we will have to get together and do some cutting one of these days considering we are so far away from each other and all.

Pauster, you have asked some good questions and the answers given are on the money, and thanks guys for the how-to links, my nephew is in the 'never-used a chainsaw' arena and now has a non-braked Poulon, so I will be forwarding this thread and links to him, along with a visit to get him on the right track before he gets hurt.

Thanks guys.

Thank you !

I am very positively surprised by this forum and the knowledgeable and helpful folks on it. :bowdown:

Thank you all, I'll buy some chaps and keep you all in the loop on my progress.

Patrick

A note about kickback, many think only of the bar coming up at the users face, but I had the opportunity to watch a saw shove the user backwards, almost off his feet, off-balance for sure, just doing an upcut on a down/up/down cut pattern, first time with 70cc saw. The handle got him in the gut pretty good. Similiar saw reaction when the top of the bar gets pinched, thought I'd share that perspective.

Have some safe fun.

First of all, let me say hello. I have been "lurking" for a while absorbing knowledge until my head explodes while trying to keep the wallet closed. Thanks for all the great knowledge and entertainment.
I am pretty much an FNG with this stuff. I have used chainsaws but was never really serious until about a year or so ago, now I am infected and the "doctors" here don't really help find a cure. It started with my hunt for good wood when I started to get a little more serious about wood turning. I don't know what I like better, turning or cutting.
But enough of this mindless dribble.
I'd figure I'd throw in my penny.

I have been wearing the Labonville chaps and like them.
They feel comfortable, cover well and stay put.
The price is more than reasonable, cheap if you consider that they can save a leg or too.

I always wear the chaps, gloves, boots and forestry helmet when cutting. I also have a shirt as well which, depending on the weather and the cutting, I don't always wear.

Pauster, we will have to get together and do some cutting one of these days considering we are so far away from each other and all.

Just remember, you're now enrolled in the 10 lesson program. :newbie:

Oh, the course has now been improved so even intermediate level "saw geeks" can benefit.

Lesson 1: You get what you pay for. New: Now includes the famous "boat anchor" lesson from Professor Troll himself.

Lesson 2: You'll learn to do without things you now consider neccesities so you have more money for saws and saw related paraphernalia. New: A special graph lets you chart your FICO score.

Lesson 3: You'll learn how to identify "holes" in your saw lineup. New: Learn to use all manufacturers as some leave a gap in their lineup.

Lesson 4: You'll learn that you can't have too many saws, and, as a special bonus, you'll learn how to rationalize the affects of "CAD", AKA chainsaw acquisition disorder, to your family and friends. New: Professor Hall now extolls the virtues of "side jobs" as justification for all your saws.

Lesson 5: You'll learn how to buy saws like a pro, ie. eBay, tradin' post, pawn shops. A special section is now included on buying modded saws. New: Professor Casey now guides you on how to use fellow AS members to assist you in your first modded saw purchase.

Lesson 6: You'll learn how to use a credit card to solve cases of "CED", AKA chainsaw envy disorder. New: Using 2nd and 3rd mortgages in now fully covered.

Lesson 7: You'll learn how how to pick companions based on their knowledge of chainsaws. New: Learn "codewords" that help you identify fellow "saw geeks".

Lesson 8: You'll learn how to organize your "wall of bars". New: Now includes the "hanging chain" tips.

Lesson 9: You'll learn how to buy 100 and 200 feet of chain at a time in order to save money. Advanced placement lessons include the special spinners and breakers lesson. New: How to setup shortcut links to all your favorite sites and learn unpublished 800 numbers to get you ordering quicker than ever.

Lesson 10: You'll learn how to organize your life around GTGs where other "friends" will help convince you that you are normal. New: Learn how to attand to GTG sites that you once considered far beyond your reach. Many recent graduates have easily covered 4 states for a weekend GTG.

Bonus lesson 11, from Professor Ultra. Using photoshop to make your saw appear bigger and better than it really is.

Oh.... hurry on to your first class now. The bell's about to ring. Yeah, and bring a bottle of Stihl HP Ultra for the teacher.

Happy sawin',

Jack

you guys are killing me !

Anyway you have convinced me, since the saw is due to arrive today I bought the Stihl chaps. The local dealer gave me a nice discount for his last pair - but now the mannequin in the window feels very naked.

I also bought the Stihl file & guide set so I can start practicing.

I guess at $70 it's a tad more than the Labonville incl shipping but hey, I have them now.

Now I want the DHL guy to stop buy NOW !

:blob2:

Some additional advice would be: watch the tip of your bar, the major contributer to kick backs. Don't bury your bar up to the dogs in a small piece of wood with over half of your bar hanging out the back. Do it when you need the power. If you get into a habit of it when not needed you will find out about kickback and filing chains real quick :bang: Also, focus on the part of the cutter on your chain that does the majority of the work.

Rep

All,

I tried to give most of you positve rep as a thank you for helping me out. One of you has reported that he received negative rep from me. I don't know if this is the only case, but regardless I want to apologize profusely to anyone whose reputation score I might have harmed in error.

I had selected the "I approve" radio button in every case, thinking i'd give you positive rep.

I have no idea what happened behind the scenes.

Again, sorry to all it affected.

Patrick

Sorry !

All,

I tried to give most of you positve rep as a thank you for helping me out. one of you has reported that he received negative rep from me. I don't know if this is the only case, but regardless I want to apologize profusely to anyone whose reputation score I might have harmed in error.

I had selected the "I approve" radio button in every case, thinking i'd give you positive rep.

Patrick

All,

I tried to give most of you positve rep as a thank you for helping me out. One of you has reported that he received negative rep from me. I don't know if this is the only case, but regardless I want to apologize profusely to anyone whose reputation score I might have harmed in error.

Patrick

When you are a newbie, it really has no effect. You don't add or subtract from anything. All "pats on the back", however are appreciated. The Forum software is set up that way, so the long term guys with lots of posts get some whallop in either direction, but a new guy can't get in and neg a whole bunch of people and have it mean anything. Just need to be careful when you do the rep thing.

Stick around, you're gonna be okay.

Mark

All,

I tried to give most of you positve rep as a thank you for helping me out. one of you has reported that he received negative rep from me. I don't know if this is the only case, but regardless I want to apologize profusely to anyone whose reputation score I might have harmed in error.

Patrick

It don't matter too much about the rep. If they complain about it... too bad. I get some neg by accident once in awhile from people, no biggee. I also get neg on purpose.:hmm3grin2orange:

Gary

All,

Patrick

No sweat - it happens. When I first found out about the rep system, I wandered over to my User CP to see if I had any, and found a neg from a guy, and the comment thanking me for my post! :laugh:

No biggie. Mostly it's a joke anyway. I don't think anybody takes it too seriously.

Well, except for newbies that have an attitude problem. They get negged into oblivion by the heavyweights! :D

Sooo - I got the saw, lubed the sprocket thingy bearing, installed the bar, filled up gas and bar oil and she ran like a champ. It was dark so I could not cut any wood, but this beast is loud and seems eager to eat wood.

Glad I got my PPE complete.

Can't wait for the weekend and do some milling.

Thanks again everybody.

One more guy hooked.

Back