Someone cut my fence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I found a hole in my fence today where someone cut there way into my property.
They cut through a layer of bob wire, and a layer of 2''x 4'' x 5'' horse wire, then knocked down a 6 foot wood fence to get in. Nothing appears to be missing so far. It had to be within a week or even a few days. I got a big rain last night but no signs of tracks or foot prints. It was big enough for my horse to walk through.
I don't know why they would go to all the trouble of cutting the fence when the gate was not locked.
The wire is very heavy duty 10 gage or better. The cuts were clean so they had a heavy duty wire cutter.
Gonna keep my eyes peeled and gonna keep everything locked up real good.
At least I found the hole before the house got out. I patched the hole so now, who ever did it knows that I know someone cut there way in.

I've got to ask, what is bob wire?

We fenced in about 300 acres for a guy. Last year someone rammed the gate (destroying it) to "steal" about $25 worth of logs. (junk we knocked over to put in the fence, wasn't worth the effort to haul it out of there.
They could have just drove along side the barbed wire fence and chucked the wood into the truck... or even better, not be trespassing and stealing!
Found some kids doing drugs and making babies 2 years ago. They didn't even make an effort to put clothes on or hightail it out when we drove up on them (with a Case 1150 dozer and 200 excavator!)

I've got to ask, what is bob wire?

We fenced in about 300 acres for a guy. Last year someone rammed the gate (destroying it) to "steal" about $25 worth of logs. (junk we knocked over to put in the fence, wasn't worth the effort to haul it out of there.
They could have just drove along side the barbed wire fence and chucked the wood into the truck... or even better, not be trespassing and stealing!
Found some kids doing drugs and making babies 2 years ago. They didn't even make an effort to put clothes on or hightail it out when we drove up on them (with a Case 1150 dozer and 200 excavator!)
https://syrupandbiscuits.com/southern-speak-a-translation-dictionary/

Poachers. They have always been a massive problem here but lately they have become downright brazen.
Look for dog tracks: they usually let in the hounds first to see if there are guard dogs or if they get shot at.

I don't know how the law in your area is but here they know that if caught they'll get away with nothing more than having their guns and ammo seized and a small fine: technically they should also pay to have the fence mended but they can refuse to do so with no consequences. I am not saying we should bring back the death penalty for poaching, but heavier penalties would go a long way towards reducing the problems we experience.

People suck. There was a big thing several years ago where they'd bring a battery powered sawzall and cut the cat converter out of your vehicle while you were in the store. Then of course all the cutting of copper piping in abandoned homes or even some not abandoned. Can you electrify the fence legally? Maybe post shock hazard signs every 50-100 feet. Even if you don't really shock it, just the signs may be enough of a deterrent. I agree on the cameras. They have aps that you can use to link the live feed to your cell phone. Catch them in the act and either call the police(probably the best option) or beat the Snots out of the crooks. You could also invest in a couple mean dogs to watch things.

People suck. There was a big thing several years ago where they'd bring a battery powered sawzall and cut the cat converter out of your vehicle while you were in the store. Then of course all the cutting of copper piping in abandoned homes or even some not abandoned.

How about stealing copper and brass ornaments from cemeteries or even cast iron manhole covers? Mankind can sink rather low.

The latter happened here on the pass behind my house. Our roads are liberally littered with manholes: they serve no practical purpose whatsoever but act as an everlasting bailout for foundries. So imagine how happy the latter were when it was found every single manhole cover from here to the next town had been stolen. It must have taken the thieves all night or they had at least two teams working.
The saddest part is they got at very most €300 for all their troubles. Patently stolen goods don't go at full market prices, unlike walnut trees. ;)

Bob wire.barb wire-all the same just depends on what part of the country you call home as to how you say it.

Huh, never heard such a thing. I've been all over the US too.

I've always called it barbed wire.

Huh, never heard such a thing. I've been all over the US too.

I've always called it barbed wire.
Yea, but your a Yank, I call it bobbed wire, but I spell it barb wire.
220px-Barbwireposter.jpg

It seems more are concerned about my spelling then the break in.
Ribbing one is a sign of male affection. A kind of roast if you will...
They (we) just can't come straight out and say they (we) love you, even if it is almost Christmas.
If everyone talked the same what is the fun in that...

The thing about your cut fence is the grey lingering cloud around the whole thing.
Makes one suspicious of every one and every thing. It is an uneasy feeling.

We live quite far from the road with only one distant neighbor and had a similar experience several years ago.
I came home at dusk to find a guy in our driveway in front of the garage in a pickup. I thought it could possibly be a friend of one of our kids, although they no longer live at home. He was in his pickup, which he had backed up and turned 90* to me when I pulled in. I pulled across the front of him at some distance.
He was not someone I recognized and I ask what was up.

He replied he saw the house was for sale, which it was not. I asked to see his drivers license, and he backed up further, and then drove around me.
I called the sheriff's dept. and reported it and his vehicle license number, saying basically, I just got a funny feeling about the whole thing.

A depute stopped by moments later. The next day he stopped again, saying the man had been arrested previously for breaking and entering.
And that the man had said he was home all evening, although the hood of his truck was warm.
(I can only assume the prompt response was because with the license number they already knew he had been arrested before for B & E.)

We live on a dead end road. The next day I put a sign out by the road, "Possible... breaking and entering.", and the date, on a 4' x 4' piece of OSB. Several neighbors stopped by over the next two weeks to chat. Another woman called me from further away. She was a friend of someone down the road. Her home had been broke into. They stole paintings off the wall, and a family heirloom quilt she has out and was repairing. Figured they wrapped the paintings in it.
I questioned putting the sign out, but didn't know what else to do really. And have felt somewhat vulnerable to theft ever since.

Perhaps you could do something similar, putting a sign up so the neighbors can be alerted. A potential thief might then avoid the area, at least for a while.

I would be laying wait at night to see if they came back. If they did, I would sneak up on their car/truck and slash the tires and then sneak out of sight to watch them when they got back to their vehicle. If they had their arms full of my stuff, I would then hold them until the law got there.

Muddstopper, I live in a rural area. My neighbour had his ATV taken. Another neighbour seen it parked behind a rental house. Neighbour goes over, no one is there so he goes behind and sees that it is his 4 wheeler. He drives out the laneway and down the road and uses his cell to call the cops. While waiting for the cops the guys come back drive into the house, go into the house for 10 minutes and then he sees them get back into the car to leave. The laneway is long and has steep sides so he drives in and blocks their exit. Cops show up and guess who's gonna get charged? Guys wanted to have him charged for harassment and forcible confinement, pricks knew the law better than the cops. Cops couldn't (wouldn't) even go in and look at the ATV, said no probable cause. Couple days later a group of neighbours went there, loaded up the atv and suggested that they move out before someone got hurt.
10 minutes ago someone just walked by our house, had a heavy coat on but it is cold out. No one is out for a nature walk here in this weather and just at dark. I didn't recognize him so I put the dogs on him. He picked up the pace pretty quickly once the Lab rounded the corner. They are trained to run to our mailbox barking like hell, only took a little while of leaving dog treats there to train them. All it takes is for me to snap my fingers or say "who's there" and all 3 go crazy. They get a treat when they come back into the house. The guy will remember it. Once in awhile I step out the door with the shotgun and get rid of a few old shells too.

How about stealing copper and brass ornaments from cemeteries or even cast iron manhole covers? Mankind can sink rather low.

The latter happened here on the pass behind my house. Our roads are liberally littered with manholes: they serve no practical purpose whatsoever but act as an everlasting bailout for foundries. So imagine how happy the latter were when it was found every single manhole cover from here to the next town had been stolen. It must have taken the thieves all night or they had at least two teams working.
The saddest part is they got at very most €300 for all their troubles. Patently stolen goods don't go at full market prices, unlike walnut trees. ;)

My wife keeps the records for her Parish cemetery. 2 druggies pryed the bronze plaques off over a dozen veterans headstones and sold them to a scrap yard. Luckily the scrap guy was upstanding and turned them in. $30,000 in damage for $800 in scrap. They got a couple of months to serve and restitution of about $40 a month. Anybody here call that justice?

My wife keeps the records for her Parish cemetery. 2 druggies pryed the bronze plaques off over a dozen veterans headstones and sold them to a scrap yard. Luckily the scrap guy was upstanding and turned them in. $30,000 in damage for $800 in scrap. They got a couple of months to serve and restitution of about $40 a month. Anybody here call that justice?

$40/month for $30 grands in damage equals 750 months equals 62 and a half years... not counting inflation.
Lately I find myself appreciating more and more the wisdom behind laws such as the Frame-Breaking Act.

Latest posts

Back