Someone with a Stihl FS 460 clearing saw (or similar) please give me a couple dimensions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anymanusa

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello,

If you have a Stihl FS 460, or similar clearing saw (360, 410, 490, etc) please make two measurements for me. I am nearly certain that the 360, 410, 460 have the same dimensions here, but I know that there are several model variations that can affect the distance that I'm requesting (i.e. FS 460 c-em L is the longer version, and FS460 c-em K is the shorter version).

I need the length from the end of the gearbox to the farthest harness mounting hole, and then the distance between the two farthest mounting holes.

As a bonus, it'd be nice to know which mounting hole the saw balances weight the best in also, i.e, which hole can the saw be picked up from to have an almost perfect balance with. Thanks.

14910-1529536665-17895a7b3a947800dcdb1b64183b1a5f.jpg

Hello,

If you have a Stihl FS 460, or similar clearing saw (360, 410, 490, etc) please make two measurements for me. I am nearly certain that the 360, 410, 460 have the same dimensions here, but I know that there are several model variations that can affect the distance that I'm requesting (i.e. FS 460 c-em L is the longer version, and FS460 c-em K is the shorter version).

I need the length from the end of the gearbox to the farthest harness mounting hole, and then the distance between the two farthest mounting holes.

As a bonus, it'd be nice to know which mounting hole the saw balances weight the best in also, i.e, which hole can the saw be picked up from to have an almost perfect balance with. Thanks.

14910-1529536665-17895a7b3a947800dcdb1b64183b1a5f.jpg
The manufacturers manufacture for the masses. At 6 foot eight, you are outside that. Might be impossible to find anything that you feel really comfortable using, stock. You’re going to have to customize something.

The manufacturers manufacture for the masses. At 6 foot eight, you are outside that. Might be impossible to find anything that you feel really comfortable using, stock. You’re going to have to customize something.
Yeah I've customized something already. I want these dimensions so I can see how readily a $1150 clearing saw can be customized.

Dimensions please.

I have a 450K model.
From what I understand, the shaft is shorter on this one compared to newer offerings.
Could still measure when I get home.
Thanks. If you measure the overall length of it, I can tell. Through researching the eu, german, and au stihl sites, the total length is about 179cm for the fs360 460 and even the 310 & 311. The fs 560 is 176cm. The Husqvarna 555 is a short 163 cm.

My main concern is balance and length. I'm pretty certain I'll have to bend some aluminum and make a taller handlebar for anything that I buy. It's just impossible to find any of these in person. No stores stock them within driving distance.

OK, I don't have a metric tape atm so ... convert as you will.
Measurement L = 44.5"
Measurement C = 5"

Again this is for an '2012 Stihl FS450K clearing saw.

Cheers!
Oh wow. My current set up, I'm at 50", and trying up to 54" at the L dimension, with extra weight on the motor shaft for balance. I sure hope the fs460 is at least 50" at L.

If you are using a circular blade, you may find shorter is better.
I’ve had a “mulching” blade on mine this year.
The shorter length has felt a bit short but not bad.
I’m about 6’.

BTW The blade called the "Brush Blender" is pretty damn kick A$$.
Really mulches salmon berry and other stickly bits up to about an 1 1/2".
It will saw off the larger stuff too but under 1.5 it just mows it down and grinds it up.

14912-1530241659-8ecf81fceb1b4456f5896a4b6df0a559.jpg

Gonna cut a bunch of virginia pines off the lot tomorrow. Need to add weight to the back end so it balances better with my tall frame.

ha!
They put the trigger on backwards.
Well that or they have no thumbs down at your Stihl dealer.
Only one guy at my dealer has thumbs.

It's hard on your mid-back running those things.
That and you may find you want double ear protection.
That motor is right behind your head.
Mine is older and loud... your new one might not be as bad.
Good luck!

I immediately wished that I could've or would've gotten the fs560. I talked myself out of it because it was 3cm shorter than this, and it was 8cm shorter than this with the extended shaft, and I am thinking it would be just too short for my comfort at 6'8".

I hope using this makes me feel better about buying a little less machine. We have a metric ton of vjrginia pines to cut down. I hope this machine was a great choice.

ha!
They put the trigger on backwards.
Well that or they have no thumbs down at your Stihl dealer.
Only one guy at my dealer has thumbs.

It's hard on your mid-back running those things.
That and you may find you want double ear protection.
That motor is right behind your head.
Mine is older and loud... your new one might not be as bad.
Good luck!
I've got a really strong mid back and doing this work for a few hours a day hasn't bothered me yet, but I've never put in more than 3 or 4 hours on one of these yet. Still might not put in more than a few hours time until the fall gets here, it's just too hot and dehydrating in the southern summers to stay working in this heat for too long without massive water consumption.

The noise thing, my prior machine was a 4mix, so this 2 stroke may be significantly different. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Latest posts

Back