something on maple saplings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erob914

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have 5 or six maple saplings all less than 2 years old. They all seem to have a growth on their limbs and trunk. It starts out as a bunch of white dots and eventually turns into a growth that runs lengthwise along the branches and trunk. It has a firm but spongy feel and when pulled off it is green underneath. I have not pulled much of this stuff off for fear of inviting other problems.
I plan to transplant these saplings, but I do not want to waste my time and effort if they are doomed from the start.

white-dot lichen? hmmm... sounds more like oyster scale but that's typically red inside. scrape some into a bag and take it to your ext. agent, maybe?

The stuff I have does not look like whats in the pictures on the previous posts. The growth starts out a white dots and eventually grows into ridges that run the length of the limb. There are no leaves on the trees at this time. The growth started last fall and has progressed since then. I cant remember if the leaves showed signs of distress. This growth feels like cork when you push your fingernail into it.
Thanks for the help so far.

Eric.

It does sound like a lichen, there are many different types though, here is one I see rather often

Fcaperatalg.jpeg

There is a neat photo galery of lichens at http://www.lichen.com/portraits.html#anchor315751

and some good info can be gleaned from this search http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=lichen+on+trees&geo=no&fs=web

I cant seem to find any pictures that look like what I have. This stuff looks like it will cover these small trees from top to bottom. Will it affect the health of the tree? Will it cause problems if I transplant the trees? Is there any way to get rid of it if it is lichen?

Thanks again
Eric.

Maybe if you could upload a digipic to the forum?

For the most part lichen is benign. It is gets it's support form the air, being a fungal/algal symbiote. It grows on rocks and shingles too, so it is mostly an aesthetic problem in shady areas.

That said, anyone who has spnt a few years in tree work has seen where it seems to becomes opportunistic on streesed/dieing trees. The populations explode and the tree seems to die faster.

Metalic fungicides like Bordeaux mix will work, zink products too. Multiple applications would be needed to rid the tree of it, then preventative applications to prevet reoccurance.

Read the lable, for it is the law.

For roofs, there is this shim like product that is slipped under the top row of shingles and the zinc leaches down and keeps the moss and fungus from growing.

I dont have a digital camera so a digipic would be difficult. I guess I could take a regular picture and scan it in when I get a chance.
I checked out the lichen sites JPS recommended and could not find anything that looked close to what I have. From the searches I have done scale most resembles what I have. Although I can not find a picture that looks like what I have.

thanks again for the help.
Eric

Just how small are these "dots"? Are they all the same size, or do they vary? Do they have any hieght to them? Do some look older than others? Is the green underneath possibly the cambium (the green underneath the bark of a tree)? When did you first notice these "dots", and how fast did they spread?

If it is scale, a dormant oil treatment would have to be applied very soon to take care of the problem.

I don't have a book with pictures of scale, but if you can take a sample (complete with twig) to your county extension agent, they should have a book, or can send it to someone who does....

HTH.

Dan

The growth starts out as small white dots. They grow about 1/8 on an inch tall. Eventually they join to form a ridge that runs lengthwise along the branch and trunk. Some branches are totally encircled with ridges of this growth. Along the top of the ridge it is a reddish or brownish color. If you press your fingernail into it it feels like cork.
The dots start out as specks and grow from there.

eric

It is starting to sound like scale. Regardless whether it is scale or a lichen, if you are worried about it, I would recommend taking a sample, twig and all, to your local extension agent and see if they can help isolate what exactly it is.

If you don't have an extension agent nearby, most good retail garden centers should have on hand (as a reference at least) a copy of the Ortho book with all of the appropriate information. They should help you determine the appropriate course of action. With you being in Georgia, it may be too late to apply dormant oil, but I don't know for sure. You are a couple of zones south of me, and it is getting iffy to spray dormant oil here right now, I think.

Consult with a local landscape maintenance firm who deals with that sort of thing and get a quote from them. Check their lisencing (did I spell that right?), and ask for references if you are unsure about their reputation. Don't be afraid to shop around either, just keep in mind the longer you wait (if it is scale) you may get to a point where you will not be able to deal with it this year.

Hope this helps!

Dan

I did look in a ortho book last weekend and could not find a picture that matched what I have. However there were some similar pictures and descriptions of what is on my trees.
I did spray some domant oil on them last weekend to see if it would have any effect. They have not started to leaf out or bud yet, but I suspect they will in the next week or two. My peachtrees and plum trees are now in full bloom with all my other trees, except my red maple and these young maples, have started to bud.
If these saplings end up dying it wont be that big of a deal. They grew on their own so they cost me nothing. I will use this as a learning experience. If they survive I will have a few more maple trees in the yard. FREE maple trees that is.
As far a getting to the extension agents office, he works the same hours I do. So it is difficult to get there when they are open. If I get a chance I will go by Pike or other gardening center and see if they can identify it.

Thanks again for the help.

Eric

After spraying dormant oil what should I be looking for? How will know if it is having any effect good or bad?

Eric

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been to busy to check back....

All you can do now is play the "wait-and-see" game. If the scale continues to grow in numbers, there are times in the season (it all depends on the type of scale though) when you can spray various chemicals to kill them. *OR*, if you can find a systemic insecticide that is labeled for scale (is there any??) that might work too.

Wait and see, that's all you can do.

Dan

It seems that the scale is not growing anymore since i put the dormant oil on the affected trees. The trees have recently started to show some signs of life since the winter so I will be able to see what kind of effect the scale has had soon.
Any help is greatly appreciated weather it is slow or fast. Thanks again
eric

Back