Sapling growth question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisdozier

Reaction score
Novice tree-grower here. I transplanted some Maple saplings from my friends' yard to mine and they did sprout leaves this year. But now I'm wondering: will a sapling that looks like this ever grow into a "straight" upright tree or does the split "trunk" mean it will grow out like a "Y" and eventually just fall over? I am wondering if it is worth continuing to nurture it or if I should rip it out and find a straighter sapling and try again.

Attachments

• Tree.JPG
    Tree.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
You could cut off the smaller side shoot. The remaining trunk will have a bit of a bend, but its small enough you could probably strap a board to it for a growing season to straighten it.

it would be easy to stake that straight. However, some trees have genetic tendency to do that... if that is the case here, it will be a constant fight.

I do agree with @Raintree that Norway maple isn't something we recommend. Besides the invasivenes, they are failure-prone trees (weak wood and lots of diseases in the longterm)

Latest posts

Back