Spark Arrestors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButcherGY54

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to modify the mufflers on my saws some more. I would like to know if I can use aluminum screen repair material to make screens out of? If not want should I use? On my 025 I opened up the outlet a lot and bent out the vents. I want to put 2 holes in the front of the muffler near the bottom to help it breath a little better. Also can someone tell me if the muffler on my MS460 is the dual port muffler from the pictures.

Thank You.

David

Easiest way to get screen for exhaust is from the housewares section of a department store. Food strainer baskets. Make sure it says stainless.

Thanks for all the information guys. I'll go to the store tomorrow and get some screen. As for the muffler, I'll have to order one from my dealer.

Thanks.

David

Do a search on here for 460 muffler mods. There's a good thread about P/N's, prices, availability and performance of factory dual port muffler covers, and aftermarket ports as your's appears to have.

Mine has a factory dual port, and I have enough of a time richening it up and slowing it down as it is, I'm not going to have an aftermarket port put on it. You might be good to go as you have it now.

Jeff

I bought this saw used from a member (VALOGGER) and have no clue if the muffler was modified. It does have a Max Flow air filter setup on it.

Jeff. By your reply I take it you think this muffler is already modified? Please let me know. I anyone else has any information, please let me know.

Thanks

David

ButcherGY54 said:
Jeff

It's a great saw! I am going to open up the port on the right more. Then re-adjust the carb. That ought to make it sing.

David

Go ahead and open that port, but remember a little is better than too much and you can always take more out, but you can't put it back. By the time you do that, that thing will be breathing significantly more efficiently and will require a carb adjustment. You may have to pull the limiter caps, if they weren't already pulled when the extra port was installed. Do a search for limiter caps on this site, and that'll tell you what you need to know.

Jeff

Welcome to the site Butcher. Just make sure that the total area of what you are opening up is not greater than about 85% of your exhaust port area. You still do need some backpressure. Some guys go 85%, some as low as 70% when opening. Mine are all at about 80% which seems to do just fine and they really did get pretty zippy after opening.

Back