Spider Lift, Tuepen 80' lift, repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgschwend

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am posting this message for your owners so that you are aware of a potential machine problem.

The machine may have sluggish responses in leveling or become somewhat confused or just set a red light error (which means, I am not moving).

I traced the problem to a filter capacitor added onto the power supply bus in the rear control box. The part was an axial type, 47,000 micro farad, 63VDC. This part has solid copper leads and over time the machine vibration of the unsupported capacitor body caused the copper to work harden and fracture. This machine has 1800 hrs.

I have replace this part with a capacitor that I can clamp and hold and the leads are stranded wires to decouple the vibration.

I am posting this message for your owners so that you are aware of a potential machine problem.

The machine may have sluggish responses in leveling or become somewhat confused or just set a red light error (which means, I am not moving).

I traced the problem to a filter capacitor added onto the power supply bus in the rear control box. The part was an axial type, 47,000 micro farad, 63VDC. This part has solid copper leads and over time the machine vibration of the unsupported capacitor body caused the copper to work harden and fracture. This machine has 1800 hrs.

I have replace this part with a capacitor that I can clamp and hold and the leads are stranded wires to decouple the vibration.

I was looking into getting the 23GT, but there are no places to service it around here. So Paying over a hundred grand for a machine that you have no where to service it doesn't make good business sense to me! Where do you take yours where you are? That is the biggest downfall to the Teupens. Work great when they work, but lord help you when they go down!

Well, I can't say where to take it.

It is true that basic hydraulic hoses and those type of parts can be handled by a local shop.

I am not aware of any other resource that can do an effective job; it doesn't help that there is no service manual, no processor board control or flow diagrams only schematics. Diagnostics were not done for this machine either.

I use my 30 years of manufacturing experience and electrical engineer degree to find and fix problems.

Compared to the rest of the machine this capacitor was not assembled with the same way. It looks more like a fix that someone snuck in to make the machine work in the USA market. I would expect all machine that have this part to fail.

I was looking into getting the 23GT, but there are no places to service it around here. So Paying over a hundred grand for a machine that you have no where to service it doesn't make good business sense to me! Where do you take yours where you are? That is the biggest downfall to the Teupens. Work great when they work, but lord help you when they go down!

can you snap a pic of what part you mean? I tried looking and I didnt see what you mentioned.

I am not at the tree service site, I could ask one of the guys to take a picture.

Here is a better description. On this machine there is another control/power supply cabinet located near the rear of the machine. It is about 20"X20". You open it with the key, it is painted a tan color.

When the cabinet is open the component to look for was connected to two power supply bolts about 2" horizontally apart. They are near the top, right side of center. If I remember correctly the bolts have 10mm size nuts on them.

The part I replaced was about 1 1/4" diameter cylinder 2" long, it had a light blue color shrink wrap on it. A 47,0000 micro farad capacitor.

As I said before the capacitor body was unsupported, the lead are solid copper wire and that is a recipe for lead failure due to machine vibration.

Let me know if you need that pic.

steve

Hey steve,

Im going to shop tomorrow and will take a picture before I go pulling any wires. Thanks for the heads up!

tracked lifts

Hello,
We sell and service tracked lifts out of Guelph,ON. PM me if you're interested in information

Latest posts

Back