Spikes and cocos nucifera

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I spiked the date palms. I did not own an aerial lift in 1989 and half of the palms were in animal enclosures that even a spiderlift would not be able to access.

You are really fast if you can do 40-50 in a normal 8 hour work day spikeless. Do any have lights or other stuff on the trunk? I would be hard pressed to do 40 in a day with spikes, but I am an old fart (almost 62) who has slowed down quite a bit from my young days. Most I ever did was 56 cocos in 6 hours (with spikes), but all the palms were short, 20 ft. of trunk or less and only 4 months of growth on it.

I watched the you tube video. I think if all I did was cut the frawns off with no clean up I could get 70 -75 done a day . Just joking good job. Truth is my hats off to you koa man you are the man still climbing at that age. And no I can't prune cocos to save my job. Me, maybe 14-15 tops. I only prune side jobs. My ground guys actually do the cocos. They crank out about 40 a day. Little island boys about 110 lbs. I've pruned maybe 30 since I've been home (8months ago) I've cut down 20-25. I don't prune em, I don't clean them up, but I make them disappear when their a hazard. We have around 2,000 in our contracts. Some big hotels. I'm the ornamental prune guy. Lots of crown restoration from improper pruning. Anyway. Hats off to you koa man.

Aye what's the biggest monkey pod you've ever seen? Check one out today that's roughly 120 yrs old. Around 14' dbh. Pics coming

Like it. I love da spyder. But they do have there place. 2 guys over here have them. I think I can do at least 3 cocos while he unloads and 3 more while he loads up. Plus driving from tree to tree I got 3 more done. Let's see plus a days work of 40 so say 50 a day. Oh I forgot to ad I HATE COCO's more the opuima kiawe and bogenvillia combined.

not being a spelling nazi

I assume you mean Bougainvillea an I know what that is :msp_biggrin: but I have no idea what opuima kiawe is

All of the date palms have been removed from all but one botanical garden owned by the city

Palmetum

Bougainvillea

Temperamental little sumbeyatchess, when I first got to Cali, we had to plant 50 San Diego Reds next to Jack Murphy Stadium, boss told me roots cannot be exposed for over a minute, I was like " yeah ok!" he wasn't kidding, the ones that sat out for a bit ( hit rock, in SoCal, no way!) never made it, those that did, beautiful!

anybody that can clean out any of the phoenix palm without a aerial lift is pretty good dont know if i spike them

Long day cutting kiawe (Acacia farnesia) yesterday. Yeah yeah bougainvillia. I prefer calling them boggies myself. Opuima is slangn for hawaiian opium because they thought it would get you high. I know it as madras thorn or cojoba ...Pitchecellobium arboreum.

Long day cutting kiawe (Acacia farnesia) yesterday. Yeah yeah bougainvillia. I prefer calling them boggies myself. Opuima is slangn for hawaiian opium because they thought it would get you high. I know it as madras thorn or cojoba ...Pitchecellobium arboreum.

Locally this is called mimosa bush, prickly mimosa and creeping acacia they are a not a declared weed only because it is too late to as it would send farmers broke if they were required by law to remove all of them.

Thorny acacias date palms bougainvillea are all PITA
Do you get to play with Ziziphus mauritiana Chinee apple

Zizyphus mauritiana risk assessment

Say 'Hi' to one of my guy's. His name is Carlos. You can see him up in the head.He don't leave no fruit.
Jeff View attachment 221210

Hi Carlos

Encephalartos ferox are about the worst things I have ever had the pleasure of working on the spikes are sharp and strong and they are everywhere.
Putting your arm into one of these to tidy up old fruiting stems or fronds that don't look right is something that I get a wound or two even using welders leather gauntlet and a welders leather sleeve.

Hi Carlo's
My hats off to ya.
I have spiked and cleaned out a few Date palms in my day, but not as efficiently as Carlos I think.
I was doing one in a little shopping center, it was next to a thai restaurant, it was full of these big rats. They were using me for a spring board and floating down to the ground, then running into the restaurant. The restaurant owner came out and was screaming at me. No free lunch there. I guess you had to be there, but it was funny.

Hi Carlo's
My hats off to ya.
I have spiked and cleaned out a few Date palms in my day, but not as efficiently as Carlos I think.
I was doing one in a little shopping center, it was next to a thai restaurant, it was full of these big rats. They were using me for a spring board and floating down to the ground, then running into the restaurant. The restaurant owner came out and was screaming at me. No free lunch there. I guess you had to be there, but it was funny.

LOL,
Jeff

Hi Carlo's
My hats off to ya.

The city planners here boast about all the ''HABITAT'' that palms provide.Yes indeed, great habitat :snakes,rats,mice and roaches. Of course they don't tell everybody all the nice little critters.

I'm finishing up a job on 2 1/2 acres of previously untouched cabbage palms that were tied into a live oak canopy with enough vines to strangle a herd of elephants.
Luckily,with the cooler weather , we have only come across 4or5 rat snakes and one tree with rats.Surprising since we are only about a thousand feet from the river.I've found the rats love the palms close to a river ,bay or canal. I hate them dam things .I'd take the snake over the rat any day.They give me the hee bee jee beez.

We have ten robellinis[pigmy date palms] at our house and they are easy enough to keep up but, after coming home the other night from a day in the jungle job, I told the wife I was contemplating cutting one or two of them down...................Just to,, WATCH THEM DIE!

EDIT: Of course I didn't do it.She would attack me worse than a snake or a rat.lol

we got the pitch

We do have pitch apple here. Actually they are some what sought after in japanese yards here. Nice tree. Geographicly everyone has " the worst" when it comes to thorns or complicating trees. Back east it was the locust trees with 8" thorns. In oregon it was the berry vines and hawthorn or as I say "haaaaaaaaw thooooorn". Hawaii can be pretty nasty too. Well another day another. 50 cents. I got asked to leave the job sight at 1:30 yesterday for blowing up on my crew, the other foreman, and the owner. 2 1\2 hr bougainvillia shaping and he wants me out of there in 1/2 an hour because the job only pays $175. Im the only climber for 5-6 guys. Good luck with that........surfs up im not going back tell Monday.

Back