spiking a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you might want to think about trying to find someone who can show/teach you in person.

that's not really something you can explain. You need guidance and hands on.

Good call. It does need practice and someone who knows what they are doing to properly spike up trees.

Bet-

You's proper English folk all ways make me feel like i don't know the language.

i'd imagine some manufacturers have directions, they must be on tight, and facing inwards. Dug in well to sound wood. i don't use'em even on removals 99% of the time.

But there is so much more to tree climbing/ work; and especially removals; that if you aren't indoctrinated enough to put on spikes; the limitation is Naturally serving a purpose!

bet,

Thinking back to my first year at college, spurs were well down toward the end of the curriculum, and for good reason: any removal is likely going to require use of a chainsaw aloft, and there are several dozen hours of ground-based chainsaw instruction required before you use one in a tree, or at least there should be!

My opinion, if you want a leg up on your classes, learn and practice some of the basic knots arborists use. That vid from Ekka was great, but if you noticed before you are two minutes into it, you need to know the "Running Bowline" and a "Figure 8" before you begin to emulate his technique.

In my first couple of weeks of college we only looked at trees for the species identification class. The climbing class was rope, rope care and inspection and knots, knots, knots.

RedlineIt

Latest posts

Back