Splices: Tapered vs Untapered Buries

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moray

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Many modern ropes have a hollow center, and splicing them involves burying a core in that hollow space. The manufacturer's instructions for splicing such rope, and everthing you may read elsewhere, emphasize creating a smooth taper at the end of the "bury" to maximize strength. This instruction sometimes includes phrases such as "The most important thing is to create a smooth taper..., It is vital that..." and so on. The most extravagant language seems to appear in Internet postings, but there is never any evidence to accompany the advice. So how important is it?

I had wondered about this for some time. Now, with access to a homemade rope-testing rig, I decided to run a few tests. My rig can create and measure tensions up to 10,000 lbs with a 2-lb. resolution and an accuracy over the full scale of about +-10 lb. This is far better than what I would need.

For ease of splicing and ease on the wallet, I chose 5/16 in. Tenex Tec and 3/8 in. Tenex Tec for the tests. Even though these ropes are simple hollow braids, the principles involved should apply to all spliced ropes with a buried core. All the rope was new, and all tests were done on slings with spliced eyes on both ends. The splices were all substandard in length because I knew they would not pull apart. The tapers, however, were full length and carefully done. The untapered buries were just that--full diameter rope cut straight across.

Here are the breaking strengths, in pounds, for the 5/16 in. rope:

2 tapers 4460
2 tapers 4400
1 blunt 4006
2 blunt 4084

And for the 3/8 in. rope:

2 tapers 5554
1 blunt 5118

All ropes broke at the end of a splice bury. If a rope had both a blunt and a tapered bury (labelled above as '1 blunt'), it broke at the end of the blunt bury.

These data clearly don't support the use of extravagant language extolling the strength benefits of a tapered bury! The benefit is quite modest. In the 5/16 in. rope, the blunt buries preserve 91% of rope strength, and for the 3/8 in. rope, 92%.

The interesting question is why does a blunt bury reduce rope strength? The answer, I think, is pure geometry. The strands in rope--almost any rope--are not aligned with the load. Even though the strands themselves have a fixed tensile strength, the collective strength of the strands is less than their simple sum because of the alignment problem. When a hollow rope swells up to swallow a buried core, the angle of the individual cover strands becomes less favorable still, and the cover becomes weaker. This effect is masked by the presence of the core, whose strength more than makes up for the weakening in the cover.

But at the very end of a blunt bury, the weakening is unmasked! Here the cover strands have the poor geometry of the fat part of the splice, but they have to support the entire load alone.

I measured the angles of a lightly loaded, spliced piece of 5/16 rope. In the fat part of the cover the deviation angle was 31.1 degrees. In undisturbed rope it was 21.3 degrees. The ratio of the cosines of these angles should give us the relative strengths. It is 92%. The measured relative strength, as seen above, was 91%.

Absolutely outstanding conclusion. Great data. I am impressed.

I had always wondered about the significance of blunt or tapered bury, too. I think your results are more definitive than I would have expected. I never thought it would come to a predictable 8-10% difference.

Somebody shoot this man with some rep! I am out of bullets!

Nice data Moray, what dynamometer are you using. I was just looking at them two days ago in a PMI catalog.

EDIT: never mind, I have some reading to do in your other thread.

Last edited:
Absolutely outstanding conclusion. Great data. I am impressed.

I had always wondered about the significance of blunt or tapered bury, too. I think your results are more definitive than I would have expected. I never thought it would come to a predictable 8-10% difference.

Somebody shoot this man with some rep! I am out of bullets!

:agree2::agree2::agree2::agree2:

Apparently you can only rep the same guy once in a given period of time? But yeah, he deserves some more.

The fact that the cosines line up with the reduction in breaking strength is fantastic.

I find it rather easy to taper the bury and so will continue to do so both for that extra 8% and because I think the splice looks nicer. But it's nice to see that it's not as big of a deal as comes across sometimes.

Many modern ropes have a hollow center, and splicing them involves burying a core in that hollow space. The manufacturer's instructions for splicing such rope, and everthing you may read elsewhere, emphasize creating a smooth taper at the end of the "bury" to maximize strength. This instruction sometimes includes phrases such as "The most important thing is to create a smooth taper..., It is vital that..." and so on. The most extravagant language seems to appear in Internet postings, but there is never any evidence to accompany the advice. So how important is it?

I had wondered about this for some time. Now, with access to a homemade rope-testing rig, I decided to run a few tests. My rig can create and measure tensions up to 10,000 lbs with a 2-lb. resolution and an accuracy over the full scale of about +-10 lb. This is far better than what I would need.

For ease of splicing and ease on the wallet, I chose 5/16 in. Tenex Tec and 3/8 in. Tenex Tec for the tests. Even though these ropes are simple hollow braids, the principles involved should apply to all spliced ropes with a buried core. All the rope was new, and all tests were done on slings with spliced eyes on both ends. The splices were all substandard in length because I knew they would not pull apart. The tapers, however, were full length and carefully done. The untapered buries were just that--full diameter rope cut straight across.

Here are the breaking strengths, in pounds, for the 5/16 in. rope:

2 tapers 4460
2 tapers 4400
1 blunt 4006
2 blunt 4084

And for the 3/8 in. rope:

2 tapers 5554
1 blunt 5118

All ropes broke at the end of a splice bury. If a rope had both a blunt and a tapered bury (labelled above as '1 blunt'), it broke at the end of the blunt bury.

These data clearly don't support the use of extravagant language extolling the strength benefits of a tapered bury! The benefit is quite modest. In the 5/16 in. rope, the blunt buries preserve 91% of rope strength, and for the 3/8 in. rope, 92%.

The interesting question is why does a blunt bury reduce rope strength? The answer, I think, is pure geometry. The strands in rope--almost any rope--are not aligned with the load. Even though the strands themselves have a fixed tensile strength, the collective strength of the strands is less than their simple sum because of the alignment problem. When a hollow rope swells up to swallow a buried core, the angle of the individual cover strands becomes less favorable still, and the cover becomes weaker. This effect is masked by the presence of the core, whose strength more than makes up for the weakening in the cover.

But at the very end of a blunt bury, the weakening is unmasked! Here the cover strands have the poor geometry of the fat part of the splice, but they have to support the entire load alone.

I measured the angles of a lightly loaded, spliced piece of 5/16 rope. In the fat part of the cover the deviation angle was 31.1 degrees. In undisturbed rope it was 21.3 degrees. The ratio of the cosines of these angles should give us the relative strengths. It is 92%. The measured relative strength, as seen above, was 91%.

deeker rep

Save Your Bullets!

I appreciate the goodwill everybody, but what I really want is for others, as you guys have done, to join the conversation. When others speak, I listen and I learn.

I listen and learn too. I also like to make those who have something good to say feel better for having done so.

Your work with splices has helped my understanding quite a bit. I had always assumed that the tapered tail would not hold as well as the blunt cut (given the same depth of bury) since the cover would be bent more aggressively around the blunt end. I even assumed that the cover would be a little more inclined to break at that point, but I never would have guessed that it was so predictable.

Since your hard work is so helpful to me in particular, I thought I might make sure your work did not go unappreciated.

BTW: my trigonometry is pretty rusty.

1. How did you conclude that strength of the rope would be related to the cosine of the angle? Vector force calculations?

2. How the heck could you measure the angle of the wraps to 3 places of accuracy?

...BTW: my trigonometry is pretty rusty.

1. How did you conclude that strength of the rope would be related to the cosine of the angle? Vector force calculations?

2. How the heck could you measure the angle of the wraps to 3 places of accuracy?

Excellent questions. I didn't think I was going to slide that past you!

1. Yes, the cosines come directly from representing the forces as vectors. This is the same problem as calculating the tension in a clothesline when a weight hung at the center causes it to sag X degrees.

2. I didn't measure directly, and the accuracy is probably more like 2 1/2 digits. I wrapped a thin strip of paper around the rope, like measuring someone's waist size, and marked the circumference. This I did for both the fat part and the thin part. Then, for both the fat part and the thin part, I measured the length of one rope cycle: for an 8-strand rope like 5/16 Tenex, this is 4 pics. This is the distance along the rope axis that one strand travels while it travels exactly one circumference. The ratio of these two is the tangent of the angle I want.

2. I didn't measure directly, and the accuracy is probably more like 2 1/2 digits. I wrapped a thin strip of paper around the rope, like measuring someone's waist size, and marked the circumference. This I did for both the fat part and the thin part. Then, for both the fat part and the thin part, I measured the length of one rope cycle: for an 8-strand rope like 5/16 Tenex, this is 4 pics. This is the distance along the rope axis that one strand travels while it travels exactly one circumference. The ratio of these two is the tangent of the angle I want.

I hope you know I would NEVER nit-pick, but here is a thought: since there is some twist to each strand of fibers, did you subtract from your measured diameter to get the center of each strand, or did you work off the outside diameter?

[I don't think it would make much difference anyway, since you are working on a ratio between the two diameters, anyway. I just thought I would bug you a tiny bit on that.]

I hope you know I would NEVER nit-pick, but here is a thought: since there is some twist to each strand of fibers, did you subtract from your measured diameter to get the center of each strand, or did you work off the outside diameter?...

Who? You nitpick?

But I LOVE nitpicking, and you are absolutely correct. I did my measurements on the surface, ignoring the thickness of the strands and ignoring the fact that the strands are woven: some of the time they are on the outside and some of the time they are one layer deep. The actual path traced by an individual strand is probably quite complex.

I think my measurements of the geometry are consistent with the idea that geometry largely explains the weakening effect of a blunt bury--I wouldn't want to claim any more than that.

I thought you did an excellent job of demonstrating your point. Your angular measure technique is considerably more creative than I would have done, too.

It's too bad that almost all those 10th grade high school students taking trigonometry and geometry are sitting in class thinking about how they will NEVER see anyplace that they can use the knowledge the teacher is making them absorb.

Back