splitter tuning issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blh1960

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a swisher 28T with a b & s 9 hp engine. Filter is clean, spark plug is good. It has only one ajustment and it it is limited. It lean surges unless I choke slightly. I have been using like this for a couple of years but is very annoying. Should I break the limiter and try to richen it up a little? My garden tiller is the same way. Need a easy fix for both.

By all means have a go at it.

No sense owning an ill performing engine. Lean is usually a sign of something plugged up.. But it could be an adjustment,.

Cut the limiter, but most likely it will need a new carb to run properly.
I lowth the new style carbs, nine times out of ten you are better off throwing them away than cleaning them. The new B@S Carbs seem to be more finiky than the old Techumseh carbs.

log splitter

I have a swisher 28T with a b & s 9 hp engine. Filter is clean, spark plug is good. It has only one ajustment and it it is limited. It lean surges unless I choke slightly. I have been using like this for a couple of years but is very annoying. Should I break the limiter and try to richen it up a little? My garden tiller is the same way. Need a easy fix for both.

First are you using high test gas and a fuel preservative?

Second do you shut the fuel tank off and run the fuel out of the engine all the time to eliminate the chance of build up in the carburator?

The air filter may be plugged and you will not see the fine dirt and dust

Third your altitude may be the problem unless the fuel air or air filter are very dirty?

The limiter is there to regulate the engine speed and it is simply reacting to the load.

:chainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

First make sure carb is clean. Make sure all orifaces are open and not plugged. Then if it still has problems take off limiter cap(s). Premium fuel is not a must, any clean fresh fuel will work. Fuel additives to clean carb probably won't work. You need to physically clean each piece in carb. I'm guessing the main jet is the culprit.

Clean the carb.

First make sure carb is clean. Make sure all orifaces are open and not plugged. Then if it still has problems take off limiter cap(s). Premium fuel is not a must, any clean fresh fuel will work. Fuel additives to clean carb probably won't work. You need to physically clean each piece in carb. I'm guessing the main jet is the culprit.

:agree2:

Clean the carb. Take it apart and take some carb cleaner and make sure everything is clean.

Dan

First are you using high test gas and a fuel preservative?
What difference would that make?
Second do you shut the fuel tank off and run the fuel out of the engine all the time to eliminate the chance of build up in the carburator?

The air filter may be plugged and you will not see the fine dirt and dust
If the filter was plugged, it would run better!
Third your altitude may be the problem unless the fuel air or air filter are very dirty?
Higher altitude would help....
The limiter is there to regulate the engine speed and it is simply reacting to the load.
The governor is there to maintain a set speed. Surging is a effect of the main and low speed (if equipped) being too lean.

:chainsaw::givebeer::cheers:

My $0.02 worth

I guess I will clean the carb this weekend. If the filter was plugged it would run rich would it not? I would bet I have a orifice that is plugged.

Funny I would take the Honda off and throw in ditch and put on a B&S, to each his own.
So would I!
Now for the OP Take the carb apart and give it a good cleaning for starters, if your motor has a fuel filter look there first.
In my experience I never had a problem with a small 4 stroke except rust in the tank all my engines except my new splitter are Briggs. I work on Trains for a living so this it out of my Liege lol.

Pulled the bowl off the carb this weekend. Clean the all the orifices I could get to. Also pulled the float and needle off. Clean main jet. Runs great again. thx!

QUOTE=blh1960;1373458]Pulled the bowl off the carb this weekend. Clean the all the orifices I could get to. Also pulled the float and needle off. Clean main jet. Runs great again. thx![/QUOTE]

Bingo! :cheers:

Back