Splitting bark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weasel

Reaction score
I have a Krimson King Maple I planted three years ago. I believe the tree was about ten years old when it was planted. The bark on the trunk is splitting and peeling away and exposing bare wood. It looks like the bark is drying right out. No signs of any animal damage are to blame because some of the areas are to high for anything to get at. The tree still has healthy leaves and otherwise looks very good. Because some of the areas that are damaged are so large (5" long) I'm afraid the tree is ruined. What can be done to prevent the bark from peeling? Will the tree eventually repair itself and these areas become nonexistant?

there is probibly an old wound that caused dieback to travel up the stem. If you gently peel the bark you will find a ridge of "wound wood" on each edge.

Does the tree look like a post in the ground? If so it is planted too deep. This could cause a root to grow around and choke off part of the trunk.
Also if it was dinged by a lawnmower this type of dieback could result.

A Jpeg would be helpfull, or have a local arborist look at it.

Latest posts

Back