Splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullCry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have some seasoned Pignut hickory and I don't know if I'm going to be able to split it with a maul for it is so big from the butt and on up I don't have access to a splitting machine and was wondering if I could use a ripping chain on a saw to cut it like splitting. Baileys says only use this chain on mills, is this correct and due to kick back or what...thanks for any replies. FullCry

Wrong chain. What your talking about, we call cutting noodles around here. That's where you cut with the grain to quarter up large blocks of wood. Ripping chain is used to cut against the end of the grain. That's much harder on your saw than cutting with the grain and pulling noodles. You can use your normal chain for "noodling" as well.

Here's an example
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5-nDxcJCNA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D5-nDxcJCNA&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Get 3 or 4 metal wedges and a large ( I use 20 lb) sledgehammer to compliment the maul. If the maul gets stuck it can be driven like a wedge too.

Think out where to drive the wedges according to knot placement in each piece.

not sure about the chain. COuld you not just split the wood in pieces going aroung the outside, or is it too knotty?

If it is too knotty, I'd recommend a time out in the knotty chair.

Hickory doesn't have to be knotty to be difficult to split. The fibers just do not want to let go.

I have some seasoned Pignut hickory and I don't know if I'm going to be able to split it with a maul for it is so big from the butt and on up I don't have access to a splitting machine and was wondering if I could use a ripping chain on a saw to cut it like splitting. Baileys says only use this chain on mills, is this correct and due to kick back or what...thanks for any replies. FullCry

Howdy,
Ripping chain is slower cutting but, leaves a nicer surface. If you don't care about the surface, a standard chain will do a quicker job of ripping.
Regards
Gregg

not sure about the chain. COuld you not just split the wood in pieces going aroung the outside, or is it too knotty?

Get 3 or 4 metal wedges and a large ( I use 20 lb) sledgehammer to compliment the maul. If the maul gets stuck it can be driven like a wedge too.

Think out where to drive the wedges according to knot placement in each piece.

:cheers:

Cutting the pieces to shorter lengths so they're easier to split is another thing to keep in mind.

I've driven wedges all the way through chunks of extremely knotted sugar maple and had it still not split. In a case such as that noodling it is quite obviously more effective use of your time and energy unless you enjoy the exercise..
Feel some of the chunks out with the maul to see what you can do and go from there. It's surprising what you can do with a maul if you read the wood and let nasty chunks split where they're weak instead of trying to quarter the rounds.

:cheers:

Ok, if the maul is more than I want to do then I can lay the pieces on the ground and cut them as if I were splitting them..from butt to butt rather than standing the chunk up like I was going to split it? The reason I mentioned the ripping chain is I was going to stand the wood up like one would split it then cut it into four sections but then I have to get a new chain. Any advice on laying the wood down and sawing will be appreciated. Thanks FullCry

Have you tried a wood grenade splitting wedge?

They are easier to start than a standard wedge and don't get stuck so easily.

I get some stubborn maple and green birch at times and I stand the piece up and slot the face of the cut with my saw about 2" deep, forming a cross. Then I insert the wedge into the slot and drive it
to finish the job.
A sharp chain is essential.

When I get into a big tree or stringy wood, I just start up the trunk and noodle my way to the top after all cross-cuts are made. Loading the wood is easier and splitting is much easier later since the round is already cut in half.

picture.php

you can also haul way more in your pickup when its quarterd or halved like that

we call it makin' curly fries around here.......you need a saw with some a@S behind it....a lot easier than a maul and wedge....

Ok, if the maul is more than I want to do then I can lay the pieces on the ground and cut them as if I were splitting them..from butt to butt rather than standing the chunk up like I was going to split it? The reason I mentioned the ripping chain is I was going to stand the wood up like one would split it then cut it into four sections but then I have to get a new chain. Any advice on laying the wood down and sawing will be appreciated. Thanks FullCry

Yes, lay them on their side, use a sharp chain and watch the noodles pile up. You may have to clear them out of the clutch housing occasionally. for safety, shut the saw off. Chainbreak also works but isn't as safe.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back