Springboards -- these DYI or commercially made.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Anyone recognize whether these springboards are DYI or a standard commercially made design?

Attachments

• ZZBoard.jpg
    ZZBoard.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ZZBoard-2.jpg
    ZZBoard-2.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 29
  • ZZBoard-3.jpg
    ZZBoard-3.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 27
  • ZZBoard-4.jpg
    ZZBoard-4.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 26
  • ZZBoard-5.jpg
    ZZBoard-5.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 27
Them are hand forged, likely in a logging camp somewhere

There was a guy making and selling the cleats awhile back on AS, but even those were more hand formed then not

While I'm not an authority on it, I highly doubt anyone was mass producing springboard cleats, as it was a very specialized and niche tool, at a time when blacksmiths and blacksmithing tools where still quite common. and really not very difficult to make at all.

Them are hand forged, likely in a logging camp somewhere

There was a guy making and selling the cleats awhile back on AS, but even those were more hand formed then not

While I'm not an authority on it, I highly doubt anyone was mass producing springboard cleats, as it was a very specialized and niche tool, at a time when blacksmiths and blacksmithing tools where still quite common. and really not very difficult to make at all.
Thanks for the reply.

One thing that had me curious too, was the purpose or idea behind the split cap in the end. It reminds me of the cap in a crow bar's claw. Wondering if there's anything a logger would do where a springboard could also function to pry something. Or --- maybe that's simply the design they wanted.

Thanks for the reply.

One thing that had me curious too, was the purpose or idea behind the split cap in the end. It reminds me of the cap in a crow bar's claw. Wondering if there's anything a logger would do where a springboard could also function to pry something. Or --- maybe that's simply the design they wanted.
looks like an easy way to make the purchase in wood a little wider and there for "more stable" as spreading the steel that far would make it thin and weak. Looks like they repurposed some leaf springs, which is a skookum idear, but leaf springs have a tendency to be narrower. more modern springs are wider, and thicker, so a guy could hammer them into the shape you wanted and have plenty of width... but you would have to be careful and harden and temper them when done, otherwise you just have soft high carbon steel with out the benefit of spring toughness.

Contrary to logic or common sense, you want the board to pivot a little when you hop a bit, if done right you can get it to move around 30deg from original location, so you can go from face cut to back cut on one notch, rather then climbing down and making another one.

Not many using this type of premade board anymore, most folks just bore a hole and stick a chunk of log in there anymore. I've done both, and proper flat boards are way nicer to work on then a skinny stick that may or may not be rotten. Plus that steel cleat in the end really does make it more secure, the logs shift around and wiggle a lot, not to mention standing on a round surface vs flat.

Another question or two ...
If these boards were in your hands -- would you toss them or keep / sell them (as-is original)?
Would you salvage the metal for a new board with a vintage part on it?
Reason this came to mind, our son and his wife work at a camp where someone left a pallet of rough cut lumber that would work good for refurbishing. But it old boards have more value as originals, it would seem worth saving the original. But one of the boards in the photo is rather thrashed at two ends.

Personally, I wouldn't keep em except maybe as decoration in as is form.

I have a set I made that I rarely use (handy when you need them but not exactly the funnest thing to work off of at 300+ pounds, not including saw wedges axe and lunch, stacked on top of a janky leg with 2 missing screws)

refurbished for your own use would be great, and what I think all old tools should do, is continue to work.

As for selling them? who knows its one of those weird niche things that could be money, or it could be wasted effort and taking up limited internet space (supposed to be funny...)

There was and probably still is a guy who goes to the Packwood, WA flea market and sells stuff like that. If the Covid thing ever stops, you might drive up and check it out and ask questions. The flea market starts on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. Friday is the least crowded. As for crowds, believe me about that. The last time I ventured to that area on the Saturday of the Fleece Market, I added a half hour to my time. I was going up to play music with friends. I got stuck in traffic about five miles out of Packwood and it took an hour to get to the house from there.

Back