Sprocket Sizes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudiger101

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Stihl 460 with a 25" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .050 gauge. I was given a new 30" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .063 gauge. My question is: Do I need a new sprocket to run the new chain or should it be able to run both gauges. Thanks for all your help last time!!

keep the sprocket you've got. they dont care about gauge. its the bar rails that care about that.

Rudiger101 said:
Hello, I have a Stihl 460 with a 25" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .050 gauge. I was given a new 30" bar, 3/8 pitch, and .063 gauge. My question is: Do I need a new sprocket to run the new chain or should it be able to run both gauges. Thanks for all your help last time!!

Nope. The sprocket will work fine. It will pull both gauge chains.

It will work fine, but you may want to play with the 7 and 8 tooth variations... I'd be running a 7 on the bigger bar, and could go either way on the 25...

As the others said, everything is fine.

But, if the old sprocket is on the last part of its life, I would put on a new one before running new chains on it. ;)

Welcome to AS. Like Sawtroll said, check out the shape of the rim sprocket, any question, just replace it. They are very inexpensive and a worn sprocket will wear out a new chain faster.:popcorn: :greenchainsaw:
Mark

Latest posts

Back