Spruce fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sperho, search "rhizosphaera" to learn about that fungus. I only know that fungi thrive on excessive nitrogen so that leach field...

As for the holes, good on you to find them. Many tree owners will not get on their knees or get their hands dirty. Can you take a pic, so we cna advise on whether to try digging out the pest for ID?

The meatballed shrubs are abused and high-maintenance. For natural options look here: www.plantamnesty.org

I'm reluctant to guess at what's going on because the tree is in a different area. The tree is only holding the new needles and the older needles are turning brown and falling, which is why it looks so sparse. Classic Rhizospaera.
It's a high value tree so I'd be inclined to get a good arborist on site to determine what's going on, or, if you're the do-it-yourself kind of guy, take (or mail) a sample branch to your local university extension office for testing. This will confirm or eliminate fungal problems. Testing costs about $30.
If it does turn out to be Rhizospeara, you'll want to spray the tree with a fungicide 2 or 3 times in the spring, to protect the new needles, and in a couple years the tree will fill back in. Expect to pay about $75 per spray.
If you look in the phone book for a tree service that does chemical treatments, they are the ones that can usually do diagnosis on site. Some charge for this, others do it to get the spray work. If you can find one that is ISA certified, all the better.
If you get a guy out there, let us know what he says, we'll try to keep him honest.;)

Thanks again folks, I'll take a few more pictures next week and also look into ISA-certified arborists that might be in my area.

Thanks for the links, too. My wife and I certainly appreciate tips on helping things stay healthy and attractive with less maintenance!

Little late here, have to agree with Mike, Rhizosparea.

Question, is Rhizosparea the same a Cytosprora ??? I'm too lazy and tired to go look this up. I have heard these two fungus used almost interchangeably when it comes to diseases of Spruce.

Usually Cytospora takes the whole branch, I've never seen fungus that big for Cytospora, usually the fungus is much smaller with a slit type girdling canker on the limb or branch and need a hand lens to see it.

Larry

Update. Finally had and arborist come take a look at the sickly spruce a few weeks ago. Diagnosis: Spider Mites. He says it took many years to get this way and may take many years to recover, if it can fully recover. What is the silver bullet for spider mites? i.e. what should I or my arborist do to treat this tree effectively and efficiently?

As mentioned before...

Update. Finally had and arborist come take a look at the sickly spruce a few weeks ago. Diagnosis: Spider Mites. He says it took many years to get this way and may take many years to recover, if it can fully recover. What is the silver bullet for spider mites? i.e. what should I or my arborist do to treat this tree effectively and efficiently?

I tend to go for companion planting solutions and natural remedies and preventative solution...

In many multi million dollar properties I managed in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia there were big issues with red spider mite, where I would find an absence of these mites and other aphids and such is where the onion grass was growing under and or around plants, as a natural defense and deterrent against those bugs I have found no other companion plant to compare but would imagine garlic chives or onion chives or garlic or onions growing under the affected tree to have a similar effect as onion grass though onion grass is more virulent and invasive so effective...

You could see where clients had recently removed onion grass from beneath plants/trees etc as the mites would be starting to take hold...

Chose your avenue, natural or chemical and go from there...

Well...

I'll do both if it increases the probability of saving this tree. So I just transplant the onion grass patches I find in my lawn to under the tree?

I would need to see, I wouldn't be digging anywhere within the critical root zone or root zone full stop, look up natural remedies, Jackie French is an author i recommend to all and sundry for resolving all forms of urban pest issues, chemistry will not allow the natural predators of these pests to congregate in your haven, this is why I offered the choice not the combination...

Your rightful owners are known for a statement that claims if you cut your mother how can you expect to be welcomed to her in the end... It aligns with the no-dig theory allot of Gardner's will come to appreciate as they age...

Another beautiful proverb is Ancient Chinese claiming the best fertilizer for ones garden is the sound of its owners foot steps...

If this garden and therefore this tree is not there for your true peace of mind then the decision has been made as to which avenue you're to take as invariably plant disease along with all things are there for a reason...

Very interesting thread, based on the pics and on better regional knowledge than mine I would have agreed with Mike and Axeman Rhizosparea, just goes to show how only photos can send you up the wrong path, Rhizosparea would have had tell tale tiny black spots on the discoloured needles just visible with a hand lens. Must be a heck of a spider mite colony, the little buggers can reproduce very regularly in the cooler months, the mottling in colour on the needles caused by the feeding mites looks very similar to that produced by Rhizosparea.

My 2 cents worth on treatment would be to try the non insecticide route for a few months first since insecticides will kill both pests and friends on the tree. Definately rake up all fallen needles and branches and remove them before any soil improvement works, decompact if needed, and mulch ensuring the trunk is clear of mulch.

Back