spur vs rim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

65x55BPD

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
can anyone tell me the perks or purposes of spur vs. rim sprokets?

also..
i am an east coast and midwest sawyer. i work alot with a saw and i was wondering about wrap around handles. i thought they were a west coast large diameter conifer thing but i have seen a bunch of them in saw shops in Missouri. I was also wondering about outide dogs on a 441. I do falling and storm/disaster (twisted up) trees.

Last edited:
65x55BPD, On the sprockets, the Rim sprocket or as we call it the floating rim sprocket as it floats on the clutch drum and all our pro prefer it. They like the lower price replacement cost but also it damages the chain less if you throw your chain. On the handles, on the east coast here we sell only regular handles because our trees are smaller and don't require the wrap handles for notching.

You do have to be a bit more careful with saws that have an inboard sprocket to make sure the chain is on the rim and not next to it. Seen a 630 Johny get messed up around the oilpump area because of this.
On the plus side for rims, it's nice to be able to walk into any hole in the wall shop and get a rim. Where the spur sprocket may have to be ordered.

I like the full wrap not just for felling larger trees but it is nice when chasing on the landing. Gives you way more options when limbing both conventional and up cut limbing.

Rotax

Latest posts

Back