SRS rope recovery options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wanted to confirm, as I was watching a video. If I use an Alpine Butterfly knot for a canopy anchor, I can recover the rope with the other end ....IF I have triple the amount of line?

Ex: If my tie in is at 20ft, I'll need 60ft of rope to recover the rope?

Are there othe mr options? Like tying on some Dyneema to the other end?

Thanks guys

If setting remotely, when you pull the line down to the ground and then thru a butterfly, then yes you will need 3x the rope than the distance to TIP.
If in the tree then just need enough tail to reach the ground.

You can also tie the butterfly right after your rope goes over the TIP and either feed the throwline thru or (easier option) use a piece of hardware. This will give you just enough leg to reach the ground, plus whatever amount you pull past tie in.

A delta link or pear link works really well for this. Hardware also reduces friction some, making it easier to retrieve and allows you to move the tie in a little easier once in the tree.

You could also use another piece of cordage for the retrieval side if your rope is a bit short. Throwline works but can become a tangled mess if you leave it in place while working. Any old rope that is long enough would be a better option.

If setting remotely, when you pull the line down to the ground and then thru a butterfly, then yes you will need 3x the rope than the distance to TIP.
If in the tree then just need enough tail to reach the ground.

You can also tie the butterfly right after your rope goes over the TIP and either feed the throwline thru or (easier option) use a piece of hardware. This will give you just enough leg to reach the ground, plus whatever amount you pull past tie in.

A delta link or pear link works really well for this. Hardware also reduces friction some, making it easier to retrieve and allows you to move the tie in a little easier once in the tree.

You could also use another piece of cordage for the retrieval side if your rope is a bit short. Throwline works but can become a tangled mess if you leave it in place while working. Any old rope that is long enough would be a better option.
Hey thanks a a lot man. This is the exact info I was looking for 👍

So you're saying to use something like a Quickie at the tie in point? .

Alot of folks use the quicky. I prefer a delta link as it can be loaded on any axis and they leave a little more room for the end of the rope to pass thru when setting ( over a normal screwlink). The 3/8 or 10mm is a good size and they're maybe $10 for a good one. Look for a name brand like Maillon Rapide or Petzl. I feel it's a little more secure when setting remotely, and If I am in the tree I just use a steel biner.

I've never heard of any issues with the quicky just to be clear.

Thanks again

I had this one in my bag. It's a Camp 8mm, CE certified. Hope it would work for at least testing. Is this the proper configuration?

Attachments

• C8829001-B31B-40C2-AA2A-AFE80A40541D.jpeg
    C8829001-B31B-40C2-AA2A-AFE80A40541D.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
That's it, 8mil is plenty strong, I've just always used a 10 and the size seems to work really well. Definitely need to "lace up" the throwline with either to help it pass thru. Ive seen guys cut down a box wrench and leave it in the quick link but I have never had one loosen up whatsoever just hand tight.

Latest posts

Back