Stabilizer Conundrum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I use Stabil in all my chainsaw and other mixes. It is supposed to keep gas good for 1 year (or longer if mixed at higher concentration). However, how long does the fuel stabilizer itself remain stabil in its original bottle? If you buy the bigger bottle how many years is it good for? Everything must break down at some point.

I was wondering if I should even be using stabilizer in my chainsaw mix, since I use Stihl's mix oil, which already has stabilizer in it.

I usually fill 5 gallon tanks with premium (which is a no-ethanol gasoline around here) and add stabilizer to it for use in the mowers, etc., and pour off a gallon into another can and add the mix for the Stihl equipment (saws, blower, brushcutter/trimmer). So I either have extra stabilizer (downside?), or I need to be filling the gallon can at the station.

Advice? (other than "get a life" ;) )

They do market a "Stabil" stabilizer, They claim your "Stabil" will stay good for 75 years. But I am skeptical. And it is quite expensive.

Newfie, Do you know if synthetic Sta-bil contains red dye? I'm not sure if I could bring myself to buy it otherwise.
John.........

Last edited:
Back