Stacking wood for seqasoning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panhead9

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the best way to stack firewood to season it. It seems to me a few years ago I read an artical to season wood quicker it is stacked in a circle about 15 ft across and tapers in as the stack grows with wood just thrown in the center to keep everything loose and support the outer stack and actually build a tee pee style stack Anybody have any experience doing this? thanks Leon

Stacking

Leon , I see that method used around here . When I asked why my insurance man he told me it was mostly out of convienence but went on to say that he had seen where tornadoes had distroyed buildings and the random thrown wood piles were still standing . Scott

I don't see how the wood in the middle will get enough of a chance to transfer its moisture to the atmosphere that way.

In this climate, the wood in the middle would be guaranteed to mould. Pile it no more than two rows deep in a long pile and cover just the top with plastic etc. to shed the rain.

leon,

you arent dreaming.. I read the same article not long ago.. Post a note on http://**********/forums.html and you'll find the website.. I think it was developed long ago in Germany or something like that, but it is suposed to season a couple of cords of wood in 2-3 months... the way it is designed, it works like a chimney.. air is let in through the bottom, the damp wood inside creates warm air that exits out the top. It makes a circular draft.. Air in the bottom, up through the wood, hot air out the top.. the few people that have used it, say it really does work good..

Ron

I've seen it done quite a bit along coastal Maine but always thought along Frank's line of reasoning. Maybe I'll give it a try and report back. Maybe!!

I wonder how many cords such a stacking structure would hold? Got an equation for that Glen?

Thanks for the reply guys I think I will try this this spring and see what happens Probably if the wood is stacked on top of pallets this would give bettter air flow

Just read the article in the link. I don't understand how logs turned up on end, sittiing on the ground, are ever going to dry. From my experience, any log sitting on end picks up moisture from the ground. If they were sitting on pallets, this may be a different story.
I do pretty much what Crofter said, except that I don't stop at two rows deep. During the summer I may have a couple hundred face cord stacked drying and it would take too much space to only go 2 rows deep. I may have as many as 10 rows deep and have never had a problem with drying.

I agree with you, wood on end will pick up moisture from the ground. I will still try this this spring, except on pallets, and will post results at the end of summer. I do nowhere near the amount you do, I will burn about 5 cords for the season,
so I will let everyone know. If anyone has had success with this method please post results thanks, Leon

I am going to try this method as well. I use about 40 face cords over 9 months (out door wood boiler). If it will work in my woods out here in CNY (think as many grey days as seattle) it will work most any where. I'll probably try a control on the ground and a linear arrangement as well. Thanks for the post and the link.

I was looking throught he link that panhead gave us on how to build the stack. A question occurred to me. How the frig do you stack it ten feet tall? A ladder certainly doesn't seem quick or practical. I'm thinking I'll try a shorter version on pallets, to keep it off the ground.

The Germans are always coming up with funky ways to play with wood. That's why they call them blockheads. Just kidding LOL
Anyway, when wood was split has nil to no influence on how dry wood is.
For example: If a tree was felled in lets say July1 it will be dry by July 15th if the terminal branches are left intact. The tree rapidly loses MC thru transpiration regardless of tree size. When the leaves are brown and brittle then the wood is about as dry as it's gonna get.
It's the sun that grew it and the sun that drys it, just like it's the sun you're looking at when you burn it.
John

Back