Stacking wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Put some wood in my Mom's woodshed yesterday. Two of the grandsons (3 & 5) wanted to help. First load went great, they even helped with the stacking. Things didn't fall apart until it was time for the second load. They both piled onto the wheel barrow and wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon having grampa push them around.
I know the attention span gets even shorter when they reach their teens, so when can I get expect to get some real work out of these guys?

when my son was much younger, I got him a little red wagon. He'd get a few pieces in it in the time it took me to load the wheel barrow, then he'd drag it to the woodpile. He would help the entire time

What saws did you run today Rich? Did your 757 see any time in the cut?

My 2 and a half year old daughter is all the son I wanted. She helps me carry wood to the pile 1 piece at a time. I wont let her be around when I am cutting or splitting yet, but she shows all signs of being a tomboy. Maybe the baby on the way will be a boy, but my Samantha sure acts like one. :laugh:

No Saws yesterday

Josh:

No cutting. Just moving from the outside stack to the shed. I had one stack that needed to be moved as it was in the way of some mowing to be done. While we didn't get a whole lot of work done I did manage to get educated about Sponge Bob Square Pants.
In all honesty, grandkids are great to have around and I find I have a whole lot more patience with them than I did with my own two. And not having any sons, dealing with all the grandsons is new territory.

Put some wood in my Mom's woodshed yesterday. Two of the grandsons (3 & 5) wanted to help. First load went great, they even helped with the stacking. Things didn't fall apart until it was time for the second load. They both piled onto the wheel barrow and wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon having grampa push them around.
I know the attention span gets even shorter when they reach their teens, so when can I get expect to get some real work out of these guys?

Alderman,
I'll give you the young 'uns perspective, when my brother and I were kids we spant a lot of time at gma and gpa's. Grandpa would bribe us with goin fishin. My brother would pick the green beans and I would pick the rest of the garden. (I hated pickin beans!) but when it cam to cuttin and splittin wood I was always game. The logsplitter we had at the time was one that grandpa and I built one Christmas break when I was 12 or so. He taught me how to weld on that project. I still use that splitter to this day, It's in my backyard. We couldn't wait to hang out with grandpa and help out. We could've shoveled s#1t and had fun!. Be patient and let them get a bit older. Remember your their GRANDPA!!!
Mike

The logsplitter we had at the time was one that grandpa and I built one Christmas break when I was 12 or so. He taught me how to weld on that project. I still use that splitter to this day, It's in my backyard.

And I'll bet you wouldn't take 10 grand for it! That's a priceless heirloom! :clap:

but she shows all signs of being a tomboy.

That can change! My oldest was a lot more tomboy when she was younger. Her little sister (3) sure is one, so far.

BTW, congrats on the new one coming along! :cheers:

My 2 and a half year old daughter is all the son I wanted. She helps me carry wood to the pile 1 piece at a time. I wont let her be around when I am cutting or splitting yet, but she shows all signs of being a tomboy. Maybe the baby on the way will be a boy, but my Samantha sure acts like one. :laugh:

Congrats on the one on the way. My wife and I just found out that there's still only one in there (not twins, one at a time thank you :) ) and that we'll be having a "girl child" for our first - due August 22 of this year. I had wanted a boy...naturally...to do boy things with...hunt, shoot, fish, saws...but I guess a girl can do that stuff also...but I think my wife wants her to do more girl stuff...naturally. From the sonograms, I'm/we're just thankful to the Lord that she's healthy. And I'm sure we'll be trying for another one later...but my wife says "one at a time!!!" :)

Kevin

I have the same problem with my wife. I've tried to get her to see the efficiency of doubling up, but she's just not buying it. Besides, she says it's not up to her anyway. Excuses!

:D

So we just muddle along, one at a time. Take's too long to get to a good dozen this way! We've still got 5 to go! :dizzy:

Say, how'd we get here from a thread titled, "Stacking wood.", anyway. Oh, yeah. That was never really the subject in the first place. ;)

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my wife. I've tried to get her to see the efficiency of doubling up, but she's just not buying it. Besides, she says it's not up to her anyway. Excuses!

:D

So we just muddle along, one at a time. Take's too long to get to a good dozen this way! We've still got 5 to go! :dizzy:

Say, how'd we get here from a thread titled, "Stacking wood.", anyway. Oh, yeah. That was never really the subject in the first place. ;)

I think you misunderstood me. One at a time for me too...I can only afford them that way...:)

And 2 or 3 sounds good to me. A dozen...:dizzy: :dizzy: not for me!

Kevin

Aw, chicken! :D Besides, you'll be missing out. They're more fun when there's more interaction. And the older ones help care for the younger ones.

No getting around the $$, though!

They're more fun when there's more interaction. And the older ones help care for the younger ones.

I am some very good friends that come from large family's and have been to their family gtg's. Always had a good time, but myself (and my wife) come from small families (3 for me, and 2 for her) and that's what we would like.

No getting around the $$, though!

Yep, but for the first one, I want to ease into it...if that is possible...:rolleyes: :)

Kevin

And I'll bet you wouldn't take 10 grand for it! That's a priceless heirloom! :clap:

Youre right blue ridge. Especially when I've got my boys helping me with splittin and stackin'. Almost brings a tear to my eye, takes me back to my youth.You oughta see my oldest son Cole, run that very same splitter! Now I know that feeling my dad was tellin me about when I graduated from college. (first one in the family).For all you newbie fathers, all I can say is with a little patience,work,discipline and a LOT of love you're in for the BEST ride of your life!!!!
Mike

I'll look for another thread to impose my weisenheimer thoughts on. This one's way too good for that! A nice change of pace.

I'm just enjoying the heck out of the fact that my daughter still loves to help with whatever I'm doing. I'm sure she'll grow out of it, but at 5 she still loves to be helping my wife or I with just about anything we're doing. She helps move and stack wood (no cutting or splitting yet!), cut the grass (aka ride on the tractor), whatever needs to be done.

When she's with me 'helping' I can't help but think; I'm one lucky man.

I'm just enjoying the heck out of the fact that my daughter still loves to help with whatever I'm doing. I'm sure she'll grow out of it, but at 5 she still loves to be helping my wife or I with just about anything we're doing. She helps move and stack wood (no cutting or splitting yet!), cut the grass (aka ride on the tractor), whatever needs to be done.

When she's with me 'helping' I can't help but think; I'm one lucky man.

Amen

Latest posts

Back