Staking a large autumn blaze maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cc78

Reaction score
I have a couple of 30 foot autumn blaze maples that were spaded into our yard a week ago. I flooded them in for a few days to make sure that I got the opening completely washed back in with dirt. These trees sit at the top of a hill and I am in eastern SD where it seems to blow 20mph nearly every other day. We occasionally get storms through here that bring 80 mph gusts. I am wondering if these trees need to be staked or is a tree of that size ok to leave unstaked? The trunks are about 8 inches thick so I am not too worried about them breaking but I have wondered about the higher branches.

Typically large correct sized tree spade root balls have great bulk and are quite deep so should nay be affected by wind force lever. To be sure I have used loose guy ropes or wires collard about 3/4 up to help stabilise new lanky large spade transplant. Consider this if your concerned but be mindful of how you secure the system avoid mechanical abrasion and also allow movement to encourage the trees own root response .
My concern is the time of year, guessing peak summer there means hard times ahead. Water but be wary of over water expect tranny shock to set in early and the trees to struggle for a while. Pix will help others to better chime in.

Back