Start my Own Tree Service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladders do make entry much easier, the only problem is i forget i have on on the truck. I remember it once in a while and get it out.

Like I always say, ladders are good, I always use them for entry into a tree. Tremendous energy saver, the first 10 ft. is always the hardest.

I will take your word for it because I have never used one for treework. Some of these big old growth trees are a bich to climb at the beginning, my 18' steelcore can barely get around. I just couldn't imagine packing a ladder through the slash, logs, bush for a few thousand feet every day. It is hard enough to walk with what I have, even with caulks.

ladders... good energy saver for access...sometimes... unless i'm really banging out a lot of trees I find the energy and time of getting the ladder off and back on the truck to be more of a PITA than a real energy saver compared to body thrusting a few feet up the trunk but that's just me, they got their place. orchard ladders can be really essential if you want to include ornamental pruning and hedges.
spurs... Climbing with and without spurs are TWO DIFFERENT SKILL SETS!
I've watched and/or worked with lot's of climbers that excelled in one and stank in the other. My advice, learn them both. If you are going to be in your hooks a lot, a good set of bashlins or titanium climbers with wrap aroud pads are well worth the money, if you are rarely in them, probably not. It depends on your legs as well, I've got bony shins that have been abused in the past, I'll take the comfy pads please. Proper boots are important as well.
get some experience... experience is priceless, find a good company and work hard learning the ropes for a few years. You will learn a lot about the business end this way as well, try to work in an outfit where you can get involved in the bidding/sales process eventually. key point... work for a good company that has solid ethics, follows industry standards, and focuses on quality as well as production. Even if the pay is not optimal, you are getting an education, don't be in a hurry.
BTW, I think OSHA has some pretty stringent age limtations for operating chainsaws/chippers/etc.

I mention the age thing because you say you are out working part-time with your friend, I don't know if your'e covered under any workman's comp or not, or if you have insurance, if you were involved in a major accident before you turn eighteen it could cause some real problems in terms of liability etc. for all parties involved. I can't say I didn't do the same kind of thing when I was your age, I'm simply putting it out there as a heads up. Perhaps somebody else on the forum has some more definitive knowledge.

coydog,
What size ladder are you carrying around. We have an 8' and 12' straight ladders that we use the most. Both require almost no effort to carry around. We put our pruner poles and rakes on it attached with bunge cords and one guy can easily carry the whole thing one time. If you are carrying around 24 or 28 ft. extension ladders, then yes, it is a hassle.

well, right now its a 24' ext ladder, I just started a gig on a municipal crew a few months ago (seattle parks and rec) and that ladder is stored inside a walk-in utility truck with a bunch of other gear, hurts my back just thinking about stooping inside that thing and taking it off its hooks. Prior to that I worked in Portland as a crew leader for General Tree Service for three or so years. I drove an asplundh style rig with the ext ladder/ pole saw pole pruner comp. next to the chip box gate. i then had an 8',12' and 16' orchard ladder secured to the top of the rig, along with 3 sheets of plywood. If we were doing a lot of ornamental work on a landscape the first thing off the truck was the 8' orchard ladder, or whatever was appropiate, I never really saw a use for straight ladders that were so short If I wanted low access I would just use the orchard ladder. There's lots of scenarios where an ext or straight ladder is necessary, roof access for emergency jobs, etc. and theres been lots of times I've used ladders to save energy, I just don't use them routinely for the purpose of labor saving, and that's just me, When I ran my own tree service in Minnesota, did I have ladders? absolutely, and I would recommend anyone starting a tree service to have them but i wouldn't recommend relying on them, especially if youre a beginner and trying to develop strong climbing skills.

Latest posts

Back