Start-up business with a spider lift setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone here work self-employed with their own spider lift and trailer setup? If so:

1) Which lift do you have?
2) What's the height rating?
3) Did you buy it new or used?
4) (To the nearest 10K) how much $$damage$$ did it put you back?
5) Lastly, has it payed for itself yet, in your opinion?

I was thinking about a purchase as a secondary job, as long as it would pay for itself in less that 5-7 years I'd be ok. With the trailer I already have, I would not have to pay any more vehicle insurance, compared to say a bucket truck.

I live in Princeton, NJ, which is a very rich area with more large and old trees than you could shake a stick at. I would not mind keeping the costs to my clients down quite low, since for me its (at least now) still so much more fun than my regular job. It just that I've read so many good things about these spiders, that fit through a narrow gateway, its very tempting to get one, even if it means dumping 50K into one.

Any and all opinions welcomed.

Dean

A 50 footer will run you $60K. A 75 footer about $110K. The ONLY reason to get a spider lift is if you need tight access. Otherwise get a bucket truck or one of the cheaper but wider lifts.

start up and spider lift...I dont think thats a good idea. you need to be a seasoned tree man and have a large customer base in order for it to pay for itself. I own a 23gt(75fter) and they go for $116,000 plus another $7,000 for a trailer. So thats $123,000. In NJ a 50fter is too small. Buy a used bucket truck or get some climbing gear. Start small and work your way up. You dont need the cadillac of tree equipment yet. Also note if you dont have experince rigging lines with either climbing or bucket truck work you dont want to be up in such a piece of equipment, for safety and monetary reasons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back