Started my hearth build this weekend! (pics inside)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my lady and I bought an old, well maintained farmhouse with a handful of acres a couple months back. The house is pretty small (main floor is around 1000 sq ft) and we've been talking about where we should install a wood stove.

There is an existing chimney running through the middle of the house, but it would have totally taken over our living room to install the stove/hearth there. We chose to take part of the wall out between our living room and kitchen and build the hearth there.

You can see in the pictures the progression, which I'm very happy with so far. Taking about 12 ft of wall out really opens the house up and feels better. It will also be much better for helping heat flow down both sides of the house.

We are expecting a refurbished Woodstock Fireview sometime this upcoming week. Not exactly sure when we'll get it all installed, but hope to asap. I'll update the thread as we make some progress. I don't think the Fireview will have any problems keeping our house nice and comfy during the 6 months that we burn wood. The stove will be offset on the hearth (due to the right side loading door) and will sit on the large rectangular dark stone closer to the front left. If anyone is curious about details on the hearth build for your own knowledge, I'm happy to share. I used granite because I got it all for free from work...can't beat that!

As you can see, I still have some detail/trim work to do on surrounding the hearth and threshold. That's next on the list!

I'm trying to visualize what type of rack/shelf type thing I can build and put to the right of the hearth before the door. I'd like to have something practical there to hold kindling, gloves, pokers, shovels, etc. Anybody got any ideas or pics to share of their setups?

Last edited:
OK, why are my pics posting upside down when I use this site over the past couple of days? They are right side up when I preview them and save them to my computer. That kinda kills it...

You are using good glue I see, but the hearth on the celling seems a bit odd:msp_rolleyes:

I take it the wall is non structural?

I ll try and repost the pics later and get them right side up. Sorry....

OK...too late to edit my second post. Here are the remaining photos right side up.

Pic #3,,most folks I know use a rolled towel or a rug to stop drafts under the door,,a DOG is even better,,great idea!! :hmm3grin2orange:

ref. your question about a rack to the right of the hearth, build it strong enough to handle the rigors of firewood. Floor to ceiling trimmed out in oak or something nice. Could probably keep a couple/few days worth of firewood in it. Being close to the stove it will help pull some moisture out of your firewood also.

Nice looking build you have going there!
Whatever you decide to do for the right side of the hearth, as Greendohn stated, make sure its durable. It'll get banged up through the season and it should look like it's been used, not abused. A nice patina that will be enhanced next summer with a coat of varnish.
Also make it easy to maintain, (sweep/vacuum under and around), to get rid of the debris and whatnot throughout the winter. Keeps everybody happy.

Personally, I just run a shovel around the stove area a couple of times a season and bring the saws in when it gets really cold outside, but that may not work for you. :msp_rolleyes:
Keep us posted on your progress.

Latest posts

Back