Starting Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboles

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Will it damage my chipper's diesel engine by starting it with the clutch engaged? How difficult is it to repair the clutch on a vermeer 1250? I bought this thing used from a fellow in Texas who said it ran. Of course, he lied. I just replaced the engine and now the clutch wont disengage. I'm very disappointed. I wish I was wealthy so I could have all new equipment.

I would not think it would hurt to start the chipper with the clutch engaged, except for the starter. The starter will be pulling a much larger load,so probably wear out faster, and not a cheap part if diesel. But I believe that some altec whisper chippers are direct drive, so there is no clutch. The clutch is not hard to replace if you have done one in a vehicle, the adjustment is the most important part, so you don't burn it.

Why would you want to start the chipper with the clutch engaged? Sort of defeats the whole purpose of the clutch being there in the first place I would think.

See his other post. His Vermeer1250 doesn't do anything when he moves the clutch lever-Sounds like a broken or disconnected linkage to me.

Arboles, Start taking the covers off and see what is going on. If you doubt your ability to put things back together take pictures as you go.

It appears the only way to access the clutch is to totally remove the engine. It has a bell housing like a car transmission. I just invested a lot of money in this machine, $8,100, including a used engine, and I already have jobs scheduled. I really dont want to go back to hand loading on a trailer. Real bummer :(

I know hindsight is 20/20, but my advice has always been never buy any used tree equipment sight unseen and demo'd, unless you are buying that used equipment from me. :D I have sold four chippers, three stumpers, and several trucks and told the persons buying them exactly what, if anything, that was wrong.
All of these were seen, but not demo'd. Trucks were not test driven either. All these guys are still friends so I guess they were happy. Too many dishonest people out there to trust what someone says. Not too sure on how the Vermeer 1250 is set up, but on the Woodsman 18X I have and the Morbark M17 I had previously, the clutch is very easy to access.

I would not start the chipper with the clutch engaged. Too much strain on the starter system. Get it fixed, otherwise more stuff will break.

Not only will you damage the starter, you are putting a larger strain on the battery as well so you will get a shorter life out of them and that’s going to cost you more than fixing the machine right to begin with.

More importantly you are placing a huge strain on your engine's main bearings running them dry and loaded at start up-again reduced life of the engine.

You are better off finding what is wrong and fix it now-fix it so that it runs safely.

Back