starting out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
314epw

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Never milled before.I have Husky 359 modified and 362xpg.Both around 5 Hp with 20 " bars.Are these good enough for a start to see if it works out?Recommend a brand of ripping chain?Are all brands the same style?I'm a one man band, so my question is what is the smallest diameter log is worth while?Or suggestions on handling bigger stuff without a large investment.
thanks,Ed

hautions11

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Small milling

I mill in small quantities, just for fun. I will talk about my experiences and that might help. I bought a used 064 from someone on this sight to start my milling efforts. I paired it up with a cheap slabbing attachment ($29 ebay) and went after a big 30" oak. I quartered the log first with the slabbing attachment. ( You can also do it freehand as stated by other AS members) Try to keep the quarters as square as possible. You are now left with the widest cut of 15-16 inches. I then added a 36" alaskan to my inventory and started using a 28" bar to cut 20" wide slabs. The quarter sawn lumber is not only beautifull but VERY stable. ie it does not warp and cup as easily as plain sawn stock. The 064 handeled the 20" wide pieces well enough and breezed through the quartersawn. I lost the oiler on the 064 and put my 044 in the mill with a 24" bar.(similar to your displacement) It was a little slower, but on anything 12" and under it was as fast as the 064. You will read a lot of input here on go with a BIG saw for milling and I agree 100%. I am working on an 084 as we speak. Don't feel you have to get a big saw right off the bat, they are nice. The other warning is this hobby can be very adicting. Got find a nice 24-30" tree to quarter and play with or a 12-14" log to plane saw. The key in my mind is to have fun and see how much you enjoy it. If you have a good use for the finished lumber, it provides some great motivation. Lots of good input here. Look down this topic for "Oak Milling" and you can see some pictures of my set-up.:chainsaw:

thompson1600

thompson1600

ArboristSite Guru
I agree. I've milled with bigger saws and smaller saws. If you are cutting 30" wide stuff plainsawn, you'll have some problems. If you are squaring up a cant and cutting 8-14" stuff, you'll have no problem. It will be a little slower on the bigger stuff, but compensate for that with a good rip chain and keep it sharp.

hautions11

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Chain

I forgot your other question. I use Bailey's rip chain. .22 cents per link.<$20 per loop for a 91 link 28" set-up. It is a good deal.

poleframer

poleframer

ArboristSite Operative
If anything I'd suggest doing some sort of rail and carridge system right off the get go. I avoided buying a LOT of steel by using BCI joists (bout 1.25/ft) for rails. Everything to build my mill setup can be bought at yer local building supply, and Coast to Coast or Ace hardware. And of course some fab skills and beer. Lotsa beer.

dustytools

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ive just started milling a short time ago myself with a saw thats only around 62 ccs. If your not gonna be in a real big hurry your saws should do fine. Just be sure to keep your chain sharp as this helps a lot. Ive milled logs as wide as 16 inches on the wide end and had no troubles other than the fact that a smaller saw is much slower. As far as the type of ripping chain to use I run a granberg type chain which works real well but I have not run anything else to compare it to. you can look at this type of chain at Right-tool.com.

aggiewoodbutchr

aggiewoodbutchr

Addicted to ArboristSite
book

I picked up Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff not long ago to add to my library. I wish I had bought it when I started out. It was published in '82 so the available equipment has changed a bit but it's a good step by step guide that will save you a lot of hard knock lessons.

Welcome to the club!

I wonder if AA has a program for milling addiction?:greenchainsaw:

carvinmark

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
aggiewoodbutchr said:
I picked up Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff not long ago to add to my library. I wish I had bought it when I started out. It was published in '82 so the available equipment has changed a bit but it's a good step by step guide that will save you a lot of hard knock lessons.

Welcome to the club!

I wonder if AA has a program for milling addiction?:greenchainsaw:
WE ARE THE PROGRAM!!!:givebeer: