Startup Suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SitkumTree

Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of developing a tree service company. I am at the stage of costing out various insurance plans and want to know the do's and don'ts as well as the who's who. I work within a large city so my jobs range from pruning to extensive removals, i could likely get away with a $500,000 insurance plan but this seems a bit on the slim side...?? Any advice about who you buy from and why? While examining TCIA i noticed they recommend ArborMax, boasting that it is the "Best." Is this true? Has anyone had experience with them? Any other suggestions about who to use? Or a ball park of price i should be expecting?

I am also unsure about getting a bond... I have heard from some that it is not something that you really have to have while others say that it is required. Is it really true that you have to have a bond to safely and successfully operate a tree service in the state of washington? I have heard mixed answers and would like to know the real answers. I do need a bond? If so, what is considered the safe/standard amount? Is there anything i should watch out for? I am a student so my credit score is minimal, hopefully this wont jack the price through the roof.

Stoked to hear any suggestions.

When my Dad and I were in business, I was the fourth generation, first you needed to pass the MD Tree Expert License test. They gave you a certificate showing you passed the test, then your insurance co would issue you insurance. Then you took that back to DNR and they issued you your license #. I only mention this because in MD you can't get insuance unless you're licensed. If you're a landscaper with good insurance and have a tree related accident they won't cover because it's work outside of what you're covered for.

We were never bonded. Our insurance co said that was only needed to cover you if you didn't complete a contracted job. Pretty much doing government work. Maybe guys with bigger companies can respond about bonding. The only time we looked into it was when we got a bid offer to work on street trees in Wash DC. Our insurance co said they would do it, but didn't recommend it. They said the District was notorious for taking so long to pay, it often put small businesses into bankruptcy, trying to float money and bills till they got paid, Joe.

Latest posts

Back