State Forestry Association

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRTimberCO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've always thought of state forestry associations as being groups that promoted forestry, logging and best management practices, that sort of thing. Recently the South Carolina Forestry Association arrested an area logger on criminal charges in what amounts to a dispute between the logger and the private land owner over the contract. Is this in their normal scope of duties?

Maybe failing to provide proper documentation that counts as fraud which is criminal I believe...

If say the times of the stumpage payments were in dispute that would be civil I should think.

There are a lot of cases where a State forestry agency are pressed into acting as a law-enforcement body. Think of what a Forest Ranger is: a Forest Cop. Contract disputes are not uncommon. Most states have a provision called "Triple Stumpage" where if the owner can prove that the contractor, through malice or negligence, deliberately took trees/logs that were not included in the contracted area, they are liable for 3 times the market value of those materials. It's the State agency that is usually called to enforce these rules, even on private land.

On FS land, the SA, forester, or whatever is required to give a copy of the report written up to the LEO (cop) ANY time undesignated timber is cut. Usually, it is cut because of safety and no SA up there at the time. If it was because of evil or stupidity, the contract calls for liquidated damages, the regular stumpage paid for plus another bill for it. And, the LEO is likely to go give a ticket to whoever cut the tree. It may require a court hearing, depending on how serious.

I had one, obvious case of timber theft. The faller took off to Canada, where he lived. I think we had to handle it all contractually because of that guy staying on his side of the border.

There are lots of mistakes made. Like one crew thought that blue paint meant leave trees when it was the opposite. They did the right thing when the bullbuck realized what was going on, they shut themselves down and came right into the office--all the cutters came in wearing their calks but the office was carpeted.
I came in and we sat down and did a write up and phoned all the parties that needed to know. It was complicated because the sale was a tree measurement sale so we had to go up and crawl through the fell and buck scaling timber. We went liquidated damages because it was still negligent, but no fines because the intent was not to steal anything. It was a helicopter unit so the timber was kind of jackstrawed and not easty to scale out.

I called in the cops, who I saw were about to drive by, when I was talking to a faller and he lost his temper because "The State does it that way!" That was one of the few times I feared getting punched in the nose. In fact, his boss quickly moved BEHIND me thinking that. Oh well. All worked out. My nose is intact. The faller cooled off and we handled it contractually.

I guess I knew the state guys were expert witnesses in court. I know they manage state lands, well seedlings and frequently fight fires and do controlled burns. They offer guidance to landowners but I never thought of them as having policing powers, especially not the power to arrest.

I would say that agency is the equivalent of the NH division of forests and lands...and here the state forest ranger has the power to enforce laws and arrest for any timber related crime on both state and private land. They carry Glock pistols too. These guys are separate and distinct from game wardens...two different agencies.

I was put on a Government tract a few years ago where the contract was fixing to end and the fallers had left or just quit for a few months. The first day into the job I was cutting and looked up to have a tree cop drawing his pistol on me! I freaked...I had no idea what was going on.

Evidently a landowner that I had driven by getting to the timber, had called the tree cops and told them I was stealing timber! :msp_thumbdn: Everything was quickly straightened out and I actually got an apology! Yeah me :msp_tongue:!

I have been stopped by the DNR, forest service, and the occasional county shariff, for "stealing wood" lucky me I've always had the proper permits in order, (once the tag had blown off a FS load of fire wood... but the nail was still there...), All three agencies tend to take timber theft very seriously round these parts though.

Some acquaintances of mine have been arrested for theft, by a DNR officer(?) they did not pay attention to the dates and where cutting a day after the permit ended... at least that's there story...

Yupp WA DNR has their own Law Enforcement Officers for DNR and state lands. If you don't have your discover pass they be the ones writing the ticket.

In Cali, the state agency CAL FIRE (used to be Cal dept. of forestry) has two different sub departments. Fire protection and Forest management & enforcement. The Foresters are responsible for enforcing environmental laws on private lands such as cutting down trees over 16" DBH and /or any commercial logging on private property. My neighbor was clearing a few big pines out of his property over 24" DBH trees, did not buck them up , but stacked them like a logs on a log deck. The Foresters came by the next day and cited him for logging for not filling a approved logging plan and having all the environmental protections in place like erosion control, etc. He was not logging just setting them aside for firewood. They are real strict and we are in a 5 acre minimum zoned area, so it's not like there is commercial logging sites nearby.

They also manage state forest lands, similar to feds.

Latest posts

Back