Statistics on H2O content of decayed logs (?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
Through experience, as many of you may have noticed too, there is a lot of water in a decayed log.

Recently, I wrote down a bunch of factors to think about in relation to forest management. This included erosion and also how forest floor debris and rotted logs can regulate the volume and rate at which rainwater makes it's way to steams.

Obviously, decayed logs have a lot of water in them in the winter. But I am curious to find out exactly how much.

I've seen weight charts for green trees - various species. But have any of you seen statistics for the amount of water that's held in reserve in a decayed log?

Also, if anyone posts a link or other information, I still plan to do the experiment myself. I was going to chainsaw a chunk out of a log last weekend on my way back from the coast, but my daughter needed a ride to the orthodontist. I will probably cut my one cubic foot chunk in the next few weeks. I want to get it cut in December.

I'm going to ask the grocery deli or meat department to weigh the cube on their scales. Hope they help is I stick it in a white plastic bag.

Good reading - those links. Thanks.

Don't hear about that kind of thing in the newspapers.

Hey, I hear we are in for about a week of dry weather. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back