Steel hooks on chipper winchline? What are my options?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CookForester

Reaction score
I have several Morbark M18R with a winch line to bring material to feed table. The chance of the metal hook getting caught in material is so easy if staff leaves the lever on freewheel instead of lock. Its happened twice in 8 years... once causing significant damage and once minor. I'm worried about people getting hurt so I want to get rid of metal hooks. I have cut hooks off and gone to an aluminum carabiner and a choker sling or an ultra sling.

What do you use? What are my options?

There shouldn't be a free wheel, that is a safety hazard. The chippers I have used with an attached winch had a lever that spooled the line either in or out. You couldn't pull the line out unless somebody was operating the lever to make the spool turn. The hydraulic system had a lever that operated the feed wheels in one position and the winch in the other position. They could not be operated simultaneously.
In addition, there is no reason to have the winch line attached to whatever is being fed into the chipper unless you are lifting a large piece on to the feed table. Once the piece is in position the cable should be removed, wound up and locked in place. There should never for any reason be enough cable spooled out to reach the feed wheels when anything is on the feed table and the wheels are moving.

I made too much of the freewheel thing. The line goes out and in and has a lock. The main issue is the hook was not properly secured and got sucked into chipper. If extra line was out and got pulled in to feed wheels... that would suck but would not poke holes in 1/4" steel right where my operator is standing. That is what happened when a hook went into the blades and bounced around until it got kicked out right thru side of machine.
Agree completely that staff needs to follow the procedure... but am wondering what other options are out there that dont include steel at the end of line.

I made too much of the freewheel thing. The line goes out and in and has a lock. The main issue is the hook was not properly secured and got sucked into chipper. If extra line was out and got pulled in to feed wheels... that would suck but would not poke holes in 1/4" steel right where my operator is standing. That is what happened when a hook went into the blades and bounced around until it got kicked out right thru side of machine.
Agree completely that staff needs to follow the procedure... but am wondering what other options are out there that dont include steel at the end of line.
I saw a plastic looking hook on a buddys new Bandit chipper. Cant be just plastic it must be some strong compund . Call Bandit industries and see what it is.

Latest posts

Back