step cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several reasons not making the face cut as low as possible in the trunk flare. When it is possible, easy and safe, I will make an extremely low face and hinge, which I have shown in many videos, sometimes on fairly sizeable trees. So I only use the step cut when I want to keep the face up above the flare. That could be because of decay or that the grain in the root flare can be all swirley and give no holding ability at all, or just cause its easier cutting the face above a real wide flare.

One thing I AM honestly curious about.. why do loggers alkways seem to make their cuts high. I wold think that the extra board feet at the base of the tree would be worth the extra time needed to fall and trim a trunk down low... They always seem to cut them above the root flare.

I perused this thread and left it alone cuz I had no idea what you were talkin about. Now that Ive seen the video, I must say that technique looks dangerous, and quite unnessesary. Ive never seen anyone Ive ever worked with pull anything like that before. Honestly, what is the point of cutting like that? Seems like a good way to get a log to go sideways if somethin goes wrong.

Murph is trying to reinvent the wheel again.. looks like this one is octagonal..

My huskys would kick like a mofo if I tried boring straight in with the tip like that. Maybe murph uses safety chain or something...

Murph is trying to reinvent the wheel again.. looks like this one is octagonal..

My huskys would kick like a mofo if I tried boring straight in with the tip like that. Maybe murph uses safety chain or something...

So you don't plunge cut EVER?

If I AM re-inventing the wheel.. you guys are dragging knuckles.. :laugh:

HEY!!! I am a drunken Polock! and I love beaver!!!

So why don't you shut-up!!! If you can not see the big picture and want to argue crap that is not relevant ( the tree will not fall back, wood has not been removed and will settle on itself and the static pull is an aid), so either leave this thread or let Murph explain!
Jeff :heart:

So why don't you shut-up!!! If you can not see the big picture and want to argue crap that is not relevant ( the tree will not fall back, wood has not been removed and will settle on itself and the static pull is an aid), so either leave this thread or let Murph explain!
Jeff :heart:

Im not the one who said it will fall backwards, pay attention, I know you can afford to:hmm3grin2orange: Ive seen murphs vids and Ive seen some crazy #### in the real world. Whatever king jeff, you see that? I wont even capitalize your j when u start cryin. Dang it !! u ruined playtime. Im gonna go sit in the sandbox, I think i need a time out...........

Last edited:
Im not the one who said it will fall backwards, pay attention, I know you can afford to:hmm3grin2orange: Ive seen murphs vids and Ive seen some crazy #### in the real world. Whatever king jeff, you see that? I wont even capitalize your j when u start cryin. Dang it !! u ruined playtime. Im gonna go sit in the sandbox, I think i need a time out...........

Hey! Goober!!!! I am in the 'Sand-Box!' , let's play!!!!
Jeff :chainsawguy::rockn::newbie::ices_rofl::greenchainsaw::blob4::kilt:

This thought just occurred to me... it sure would be good if the person who starts a thread could just BOOT OFF any 'ol jerk, troll, idiot, or whomever.

:laugh:
This thought just occurred to me... it sure would be good if the person who starts a thread could just BOOT OFF any 'ol jerk, troll, idiot, or whomever.

Well now, that is an interesting concept. I like it as I bet you would so you would not have to read my post's!! :laugh: Seriously though, may be a good idea or something to think about.
Jeff ;)

Back