Sthil 025 problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roofmanpa

Reaction score
I'm new to this site, but I see that there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here so maybe you can save me from taking a sledge hammer to my sthil chain saw. I bought it new almost 3 years ago. I don't think I have over 10 -12 hrs on it. Since new, once it warms up it will not idle. I have to run it full throtle all the time. If I leave off at all it will stall. I have had it to the original dealer twice and a different dealer once. They have rebuilt the carb several times but no luck. I've tried adjusting the carb myself, but no luck. I've got a lot of wood to cut up so any help is appreciated. I tried to use it the other day and I came close to taking the hammer to it. Very frustrating!

Assuming the air filter is clean and all else is normal please remove the cap off your fuel tank put it back on loosely (just enough so it holds but does leak all over) and run your saw to see if that changes anything and resolves the problem.

Has the gas filter in the tank been cleaned or changed ?

Did you leave it sitting with stale gas in it at some time ?

Did you happen to purchase bad gas or gas with ethanol before the rebuild?

Why did the carb need to be rebuilt on a new saw ?

It sounds like your dealers dont know how to fix the thing. from what you describe, its either an air leak, dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter, or a combination of 2 or more of the aforementioned.

Depending if there was an air leak...and the size of it, you wouldn't be able to run any throttle at all...would rev up really high and die on you. Sounds like a fuel or air delivery problem. IMO - something in the carb. Maybe one of the needle jets are clogged - I would guess low speed due to it not being able to idle.

Roofman - where in PA is that dealer??? So I know to stay AWAY from that place if I am in the area!

Was it the same person for the carb rebuild each time? Maybe it was put back together wrong....???? Might have been a simple problem that they compounded into something more.

Maybe the screen in the carb is clogged, which is possible. or maybe the idle screw is just not set right.

Try the loose cap and venting scenario first, then it will be easier to proceed by elimination. :dizzy:

Still 0,25, that is not even half right...... :Eye: :Eye:

Bad joke.

If you had it at 2 different dealers and one 2 times, I guess the checked most stuff on it.

Now it gets a bit tricky solving this over forum, but if you have some mek. skills and a bunch of patience and time, I will have a go too.

My guess is you have something stuck in a channel in the carb.
Try getting an other to test.

Back