Stihl 201TC no idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comfixr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The saw runs great while holding the trigger but as soon as I let off it dies. Tried to run diagnostic software, but when it comes to starting & idling im out of luck. I replaced the green solenoid with a new white one & it changed nothing. Replaced the carb with new & nothing. I've put the premix fuel in & changed the filter. The Stihl tech said I need to change the fuel map in the 2.0 software but when I start it up, it takes 30 min to an hour to come up & its just a black screen that I can do nothing in. It says cable not connected but in sds 1, I can run through the steps. Any ideas?

Check piston, and if ok, check for airleak via pressure vac test.
(it’s not always the mtronic that is the issue)
I did a vacuum test, it holds at 6psi, but I havent looked at the piston.

Check intake boot. Seen a lot of those saws that have been dropped that had torn or otherwise leaking intake boots. Of course check piston as well.
Had one torn a while back and you couldn't see it without taking the handle off and tilting it.

Curious, it would idle fine sitting on the floor and cut off when you picked it up.

I guess depending on how you did your pressure test that it would rule out the manifold, or not.

Low compression will certainly cause a saw to not be able to idle.

And, I have changed what you have changed and turned out to be the control module.

Not sure how it could be the control cable if it will run at all,. but I would ohm it out.

Vacuum test ok, what about pressure? I too have seen boots that are cracked hold vacuum. Flexing the handle is a good idea.
Do the testing before buying parts. Then you can buy what you need.

Latest posts

Back