sthil 028 wb av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ_alabama

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a cousin with that saw that needs a cylinder/piston replacement kit and a crankcase gasket. The cylinder/piston replacement I'm seeing on ebay and amazon cheap, but I'm also seeing spotty reviews with things like jug needing grinding on the bolt head faces to get the bolts to get threads into the crankcase. He's a lawn business guy, cuts firewood for him and a friend's bbq resturant, and the saw gets a lot of hours (along with his other saws). Where have any of you had good experience with thrifty enough but high quality sourcing for the kits for rebuild? Thanks.

Post up a pic of the cylinder and we might be able to guide you into a safe way to save/recondition it. Did it have physical damage from a shattered piston of foreign material ingestion? Or just smeared aluminum transfer on the plating? If it wasnt straight gas or a very lean tune id want to be sure to fix why it fried. Ive had random good luck with ra dom makers. Meteor is best but too expesive to me tor cylinder kits. Pistons are fair and great quality. Economy Aftermarket topends are too much of a moving target to say one is good. Look around for a tecomic brand kit if you are dead set on a new kit. Otherwise some pics will tell if you can save the jug you have

I've got a cousin with that saw that needs a cylinder/piston replacement kit and a crankcase gasket. The cylinder/piston replacement I'm seeing on ebay and amazon cheap, but I'm also seeing spotty reviews with things like jug needing grinding on the bolt head faces to get the bolts to get threads into the crankcase. He's a lawn business guy, cuts firewood for him and a friend's bbq resturant, and the saw gets a lot of hours (along with his other saws). Where have any of you had good experience with thrifty enough but high quality sourcing for the kits for rebuild? Thanks.
Exactly! just had to grind away at exterior transfer bulges on a HYWAY 028 super
kit from HL supply.I sent pics and had to call them relentlesly
to get them to respond , dissapointed in them to say the least!

Post up a pic of the cylinder and we might be able to guide you into a safe way to save/recondition it. Did it have physical damage from a shattered piston of foreign material ingestion? Or just smeared aluminum transfer on the plating? If it wasnt straight gas or a very lean tune id want to be sure to fix why it fried. Ive had random good luck with ra dom makers. Meteor is best but too expesive to me tor cylinder kits. Pistons are fair and great quality. Economy Aftermarket topends are too much of a moving target to say one is good. Look around for a tecomic brand kit if you are dead set on a new kit. Otherwise some pics will tell if you can save the jug you have
I should be asking questions here... Cousin's not had it tore down yet, but isn't an internet guy (still with a flip phone -- not criticizing, it's a less stress path). So he asked me to find a cylinder/piston kit. I didn't start with symptoms, but his buddy followed up and gave me those. When I saw all the very inexpensive Chi-source paths, I felt too good to be true and thought I'd better ask some of you fellows. Neither cousin nor I are high skilled mechanics, past being part changers. He's had the 028 since new, same as the one I have of Dad's that was bought new at the same time (was looking up when built, looks like '79-'80 -- didn't realize they were that old). He'd never let anyone else run the saw but his restaurant running best bud, and they both are obsessive on the gas/oil/stabilizer for all their 2-stroke stuff (I'm the same way, only using pure gas also). Dad and cousin both went stihl on oil when the saws were bought (not saying it's better or worse than others, but they and I all ran it, and all synthetic since that came out). I'd be surprised if there was any improper mix, but there's always a mistake possible, I guess. He says his 028 acts like good compression and cranks easy when cold, seems to have less when ran at full speed a half hour, and then goes dead at idle and won't crank again till not hot to the touch. Dad's is doing the exact same, and I've gone from it being my favorite to using my 20yr old but low hours MS290 as the reliable runner. When I asked the older mechanic at the Coop on Dad's saw about compression, he' pulled it cold and was very skeptical of issues. I left it and said check it out, and if it needs a carb kit or anything, no issues on the money. He said no issues found when I came back, but I doubt he would run one 30min at load (would be hard to do that in a business and get everything else done). Would be some moderate number of hours on Dad's 028 or cousins, as both burned wood for heat. Ain't like a professional using saws, but 30yrs for Dad and 40 for the cousin and probably 100hrs each year with the saws with stove wood and storm-felled trees/limbs clean up on farms. So, cousin was told by a small engine mechanic that he goes to a lot that it could be renewed with a jug/piston/bearing kit. I'm wasn't savvy enough to promote or detract the path. I was wondering yesterday if a engine shop couldn't bore one of those cylinders 10-30 thousands and then can you get a piston that much over? I dug around today enough to see that it looks like you gotta re plate the jug, and it looks like there's folks that "renew" them (like these folks https://www.usnicom.com/ChainsawCylinderServices). Cousin's pretty thrifty, and I'm not sure if he'd be sentimental about his saw or have a cut and run point on cost. I'm a little sentimental on Dad's saw, but have to have one running when I need it, with old/some-dead tree-lined pasture perimeter fences and cows on my side and the neighbors' side (so there's a point where I'd let it go or put it on a shelf in the shop to talk about), so I had interest in how all this goes. I appreciate any advice offered. If anything I'm thinking don't make sense, let know... I ain't proud and this is a great forum. I've been a lurker reading on here a lot and have also posted a small amount and got a lot of help.

Exactly! just had to grind away at exterior transfer bulges on a HYWAY 028 super
kit from HL supply.I sent pics and had to call them relentlesly
to get them to respond , dissapointed in them to say the least!
Man, I'd just quoted to the cousin the cost from HL to get the jug and piston kit from them. That is disappointing to hear. Cousin did mention that he'd got number from a shop over in Tupelo, MS (that's near us in North Alabama here) that thought he could get some Stihl brand cylinders and pistons (don't know if he meant new old stock or used -- I assume used).

To Smokey and your point, seeing what the cylinder looks like makes sense... that and measuring bore I suppose. Wonder if you can wear out a set of rings on plated aluminum jugs (if not abused with bad gas or running leaned out a lot) and not wear out the bore too?

Very doubtful you wore out the bore on an 028, those were one of the toughest chainsaws Stihl ever made. I service a lot of them for the locals. Have seen several that wore down the rings, replaced rings, 6 -7 years later came back in and got a new piston and rings, bore wear was less than .0005

Very doubtful you wore out the bore on an 028, those were one of the toughest chainsaws Stihl ever made. I service a lot of them for the locals. Have seen several that wore down the rings, replacved rings, 6 -7 years later came back in and got a new piston and rings, bore wear was less than .0005
The cousin's bud (a mutual friend) was just here to borrow my cattle trailer to haul a load of calves. I brought up this conversation on here and why not try rings. He said the mechanic at the coop said his cylinder was scored. So, that explains the hunt for a cylinder. Don't know if he used a camera like I have here that has a long flex shaft and a light with the camera on the end or if he took the jug off. Makes me wonder about that 028 of Dad's here. If it ain't scored and looks good, I'd like to see it come back strong with a set of rings. Does the not cranking when hot jive to you on compression loss? Locals with diesel tractors that get a lot of blow by tend to have that pattern, not cranking hot without ether starter spray. That 028 revs off idle a lot better than my 290, with the better carb, I guess.

Dont buy parts untill you look at both topends with the muffler off. Test compression cold then with oil then run them till hot then retest. If one is scored im betting dirty dried up carb parts took the piston and jug will clean up. If they are running hot and i mean real hot and the cooling fins and recoil is clean they are running too lean and that will kill them and and a new top end too.

The cousin's bud (a mutual friend) was just here to borrow my cattle trailer to haul a load of calves. I brought up this conversation on here and why not try rings. He said the mechanic at the coop said his cylinder was scored. So, that explains the hunt for a cylinder. Don't know if he used a camera like I have here that has a long flex shaft and a light with the camera on the end or if he took the jug off. Makes me wonder about that 028 of Dad's here. If it ain't scored and looks good, I'd like to see it come back strong with a set of rings. Does the not cranking when hot jive to you on compression loss? Locals with diesel tractors that get a lot of blow by tend to have that pattern, not cranking hot without ether starter spray. That 028 revs off idle a lot better than my 290, with the better carb, I guess.
Since we are only making guesses here without much good info I would suggest getting a compression reading somehow, unless there is a lot of scoring evident by looking at the piston with the muffler removed. Then the cylinder would have to come off to see what further damage is done, compression does drop when the engine heats up so there is that and a coil will begin to loose spark if its going bad when they heat up making hot restarts more difficult to no start at all when hot. When the coil/module cools off spark will often return but go downhill as the engine heats up.

Since we are only making guesses here without much good info I would suggest getting a compression reading somehow, unless there is a lot of scoring evident by looking at the piston with the muffler removed. Then the cylinder would have to come off to see what further damage is done, compression does drop when the engine heats up so there is that and a coil will begin to loose spark if its going bad when they heat up making hot restarts more difficult to no start at all when hot. When the coil/module cools off spark will often return but go downhill as the engine heats up.
I appreciate the insights. Didn't think about the coil... I had a v twin kohler that went that path, running good cold, losing spark on one cyl hot, where the coil was at fault.

Dont buy parts untill you look at both topends with the muffler off. Test compression cold then with oil then run them till hot then retest. If one is scored im betting dirty dried up carb parts took the piston and jug will clean up. If they are running hot and i mean real hot and the cooling fins and recoil is clean they are running too lean and that will kill them and and a new top end too.
Will do, and appreciate the advice. Good warning to head... need to find root cause prior to giving another jug and piston up to the cause. Thanks!

Seals in the crank case, new av mounts because that often leads to the intake boot cracking, and a carburetor kit. Of course the spark plug ,fuel, impulse lines should be replaced along with the filter.
As stated the 028s were reliable as a stone and just as tough so the normal wear parts should be replaced before a new cylinder is replaced.
Meteor makes very high quality parts.

You dan look at thrifty a few different ways.
You can look at it from the standpoint that both these saws ran for approximately 40 years. That is pretty thrifty. So how many years do you need to run it if you put $100,$200,…

how many years do you need to run a new saw to compare?

another option is to send it out to one of the members here that knows these saws for a rebuild.

Try to find a good used OEM 028S cylinder. Try post on the trading post here.

Meteor makes both 028S pistons and P/C kits.

I'd stay away from chi-com stuff.

Gasket/seal kit is NLA but individual partss are
ive gotten 2 meteor pistons. last 1 was $35 for my 028. i thought it was a good deal.

Seals in the crank case, new av mounts because that often leads to the intake boot cracking, and a carburetor kit. Of course the spark plug ,fuel, impulse lines should be replaced along with the filter.
As stated the 028s were reliable as a stone and just as tough so the normal wear parts should be replaced before a new cylinder is replaced.
Meteor makes very high quality parts.
Thanks... Will advise my cousin... and, I'm more interested in getting Dad's 028 back to reliable now, and will check all these items out. Always liked running his saw, same as his tractors and his old 12 valve Dodge.

Latest posts

Back