Sthil MS210C won't start after carb cleaning.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caballero59

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Folks,
I have a Sthil MS210c. It was a bit erratic and so I installed a new carb kit. It then started easily but would bog when going to full throttle and the high idle adjustment had no effect when turned all the way in or out. I figured the high idle port was plugged so took it apart and soaked the carb in cleaner and blew out all the ports and orifices. Now it won't fire a shot. Checking the exploded view of the carb, I notice a little ball (item 6) that it seems mine is missing. My local mechanic told me there is no ball and the illustration is incorrect so go figure. I'm including an image of this part of the carb. Does anyone know about this ball and what it's function is? Thank you so much,
ScottSthilCarb.jpg

It looks like a piece that goes into the hole and the threads of the inlet needle cut into it and it is like loctite for the screw, so it is likely still in there.

30Piece, Friction
prod_triangle.gif
ball.JPG

Well why do you think you lost the ball? Maybe blowing it out with high pressure air caused a check valve to fail? Did you double check the order of the parts you had off when re installing?
Looking at the Zama pic, it appears to fit in the recess where the idle speed screw passes, and keeps it from vibrating out, so I am just guessing the ball is made of plastic, and the threads bite into it, keeping it from vibrating loose.
I had never removed that screw before on a carb,
so it was rather exciting.
zamaball.JPG

Good info guys. So this ball is definitely not causing a fuel mixture issue. I took the saw to the shop today and he replaced the recently purchased Sthil premixed fuel with his own mixture and it started. He claims the Sthil fuel is crap. I had only recently purchased my first gallon of Sthil premix after mixing my own for 30 years. I have a Sthil MS262 which I like and I'm ready to sell the 210 for parts. How much time can you put into a $150 saw?

Good info guys. So this ball is definitely not causing a fuel mixture issue. I took the saw to the shop today and he replaced the recently purchased Sthil premixed fuel with his own mixture and it started. He claims the Sthil fuel is crap. I had only recently purchased my first gallon of Sthil premix after mixing my own for 30 years. I have a Sthil MS262 which I like and I'm ready to sell the 210 for parts. How much time can you put into a $150 saw?
Unlimited time you can put in to it and chalk it up to a learning experience.

The Zama carburetor model used on the MS210/230/250 saws has a reputation of being difficult to rebuild when saw bogs going to full throttle. I have sacrificed many carburetor kits confirming this issue on this specific Zama carburetor model. You are at a crossroads of spending $45 on new OEM carburetor and $15 on OEM fuel line or selling/retiring saw. Your saw is old enough where fuel line cracks are pretty common and cause same bogging symptoms. See below for example of eBay listing title for new carburetor.

Stihl OEM MS250 Carburetor Zama C1Q-S76 MS 250 210 025 1123-120-0603​

The Zama carburetor model used on the MS210/230/250 saws has a reputation of being difficult to rebuild when saw bogs going to full throttle. I have sacrificed many carburetor kits confirming this issue on this specific Zama carburetor model. You are at a crossroads of spending $45 on new OEM carburetor and $15 on OEM fuel line or selling/retiring saw. Your saw is old enough where fuel line cracks are pretty common and cause same bogging symptoms. See below for example of eBay listing title for new carburetor.

Stihl OEM MS250 Carburetor Zama C1Q-S76 MS 250 210 025 1123-120-0603​

Good advice. This saw is really making me like my MS261!

Back